Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Quick question about measuring OG of first runnings/preboil

Old 10-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Quick question about measuring OG of first runnings/preboil

I'm about to brew my first AG batch this weekend. I know I should be checking the preboil OG. How do I do this if it's 152 degrees? The hydrometer is calibrated for 68.

Thanks, and forgive the noobness.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
alazred
Recipes 

You just need to cool it down ! usually I put my cylinder full of wort in a tub of cold water.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Or get yourself a refractometer with automatic temp control. You are just using a couple drops of wort drawn in a pipette and that takes seconds to cool. You can take as many readings as you need to.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
elproducto
Recipes 

Oh man.. NO MORE EQUIPMENT PLEASE

Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Best 30 bucks I've ever spent. It is so much easier to do all grain with it for measuring pre boil, I find myself taking tons of readings to monitor stuff as it goes along.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
elproducto
Recipes 

Sounds like a stocking stuffer!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I put a small pot in the freezer, then when it's time to measure I take 4oz of wort, swirl it around for a couple minutes, and it's close enough to 70* that I feel I can judge it correctly.

Also, I've heard of people keeping some ice-cold water nearby, and pouring 2oz of wort and 2oz of ice water into your hydrometer flask, take a reading, and then double the result. I don't trust myself to measure this accurately enough, so I use the above method.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Measure the temperature first, take a hydrometer reading, measure the temperature again. Perform an OG temperature adjustment using the average of the before and after temperatures.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts

I put the hot wort in a measuring cup and then place the cup in an ice bath. It takes 10 min or so to get the temp down so you can take a reading.

The refractometer with ATC is the most convenient way.