Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Lousy caps don't carbonate!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
MlMcMonagle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lousy caps don't carbonate!

So... This is my 5th batch. Batches 2,3, and 5 have came out flat. At first I thought perhaps it was yeast/sanitization issues then came to the conclusion it was dirty bottles. Today I opened my fifth batch after almost 4 weeks in the bottles, much better cleaning techniques, and realized sadly the bottlecaps have no rubber seals (They we're cheap colored caps I purchased on ebay and I used them on batches 2,3, and 5.) The other 2 batches had seals and were from my LHBS. Question: Could this be the reason I am getting nowhere with my carbonation and on my most recent batch only being 4 weeks old in the bottle, can I recap them with better caps to possibly try and save them?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you wanted to save them, you'd have to upcap, gently pour them in a fermenter, and let the current sugar ferment out (although I'm guessing if you have a leak at the cap, the sugar has already fermented out). Then start over bottling by adding more sugar.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
dinokath
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow that sucks man. I agree you could pour it back in and try again. I would do as suggested and pour very carefully to avoid oxygenation. If you had a carboy, that may be tough to do!

I agree 100% with you that lack of the rubber seal is why your beer is not carbonating. That being said, the should have been gassing off the whole time and at the very least not been exposed to air, so there should be minimal issues with it being 'spoiled'.

I'd go for it. What is the worst that could happen? Like they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Just pour it back in REALLY carefully to avoid oxygenation. I'd pout into ta bottling bucket and then rack over to a carboy, although the time in the bucket should be just fine. Maybe a couple weeks in there just to be sure all the old priming sugar has been consumed. I'd imagine that four weeks would have taken care of most of it though.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I'd uncap and re-prime with Coopers Carb Drops, then re-cap with the LHBS Caps.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
MlMcMonagle
Recipes 

Cool, Thanks guys for all your support and advice. Right now, the coopers caps would seem the easiest way to go. I'm just afraid it would be too much sugar after I drop em in and I'd see some bottle bombs. I might just try it with a few of them to see and then see what happens in a week or two. Gracias! If you have anything else to add, please do! Still looking for options!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

time to get a keg setup!...poor them gently into the keg and carb up with the bottle!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

After 4 weeks in the bottle, most of the priming sugar should be used up. I'd venture to say that Cooper's tabs would be just fine and you wouldn't risk bottle bombs. You beer might be a bit extra carbonated, but otherwise fine. If you're very worried about it, you can always put the bottles in a Rubbermade tube to condition to be on the safe side.

Terje
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 10-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
MlMcMonagle
Recipes 

Prost!

Success! I was able to get carbonation out of 2 of 3 bottles I opened without any bombs... whew. All were dif. batches and the last one I still think there may have been some dirty bottles. Thanks for all your help gentlemen.