What went wrong with my Porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilkinga

Reaction score
I made a Porter a couple of weeks ago following my normal processes and sanitation methods. After about a week in the secondary fermenter, a scary surface layer is developing and I am worried I am losing my beer. Still smells like beer, but whats floating at the top is not something I've ever encountered before.

Starting Gravity: 1.060
Gravity at Racking: 1.022

It seems that fermentation has stopped because the my current gravity has not changed in a couple of days.

I don't know whether to give up on this batch or if there is something else I can do. I have pictures but have not been able to figure out how to include in my post.

Any beer or picture posting advice out there.....

Below is a link to my profile which has a couple of pics.
http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/pilkinga

You should be able to upload your pictures either to this site or one of the other image hosting sites out there (picasa, photobucket, etc.). Then, either make a link to the pictures or insert them with the insert image button you see when typing a post.

If you can't provide pictures, could you at least describe what you are seeing? How does it taste?

I haven't tasted since this development. At my last gravity reading it tasted normal.

The best description I can give is a whitish surface layer. It kind of accumulates around the edges, but there are some blobs floating in the middle too.

There are some pics in my gallery:
http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/pilkinga

I would taste the beer in there.

To me it looks like an infection, but the one beer I had a pellicle on took forever to form.

What did the recipe consist of, and what kind of yeast did you use? Perhaps something funky that isn't an infection is going on.

just a quick update. I found another thread with fellow brewers describing similar symptoms. Link for anyone interested.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/thin-white-film-floating-secondary-49591/

The quick summary from this thread is that it could be wild yeast or a bacterial infection, and the common theme was to bottle right away in hopes that higher CO2 will kill a bacterial infetion. The next step is to nuke all equipment with bleach or strong sanitizer to prevent from happening again. If its wild yeast it may cause off flavors in the beer, but I have drank Heineken before.

So I bottled and it tasted fine or like I would expect a porter to taste. I plan to let sit in bottles for awhile, build up carbonation and see what happens next.

As far as ingredients go. This was grain and extract brew. I don't recall the quantities off the top off my head. The yeast was a Wyeast Smack Pack for Irish Stout. Wyeast was also a common theme in the above thread, maybe because its a popular yeast option, maybe because it may cause weird white filmy surface layers in your secondary fermentation.

I will post an update if anything develops in the bottle.

Back