Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dry Hopping a Nut Brown Ale

Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
JohnBarleycornATL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping a Nut Brown Ale

I have a week old brown ale I'm fixing to move into the secondary. My roommate and co-brewer is a pretty big fan of hop flavor and would like to dry hop in the secondary. I, on the other hand, want to make sure this remains a fairly balanced brew and that the malt character is still the highlight. Any suggestions as far as dry hopping is concerned (what type, for how long, how much...) I was thinking about maybe using Golding, Hallertauer Tradition, and Lublin, but that's me just spit-balling. The recipe I used called for:

Malts
8.5 lbs. Mild Ale Malt, 65%
4.0 lbs. Biscuit Malt, 12%
.5 Brown Ale Malt %
Hops
.75 oz. Northern Brewer (7% AA) for 90 min
.5 oz. Northdown (6.5% AA) for 20 min.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I like hops so sure. But Brown ales aren't hoppy and IMO dry hopping is not to style.

And that's what the judges told me too sadly.

But I wouldn't move it for another week. That's the best thing you could do at this point. Hop it then if you must but don't move it for another week.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If I was dry hopping a nut brown, I would go with something fairly earthy/woody. I am a fan of willamette but that is just me.

Up next: Tangerine Wit, Flanders Red, Maybe a Gose?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
JohnBarleycornATL
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I ended up going with kent golding, since it seemed to fit closest (of the selection at my local brew store) to the earthy woody description.