Why I'm going to start filtering most batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
I've had "intestinal issues" for most of my adult life. I've also been drinking homebrew most of my adult life.

My doctor suggested that it was diet related. So I started a week by week experiment.

As a child, I was lactose-intolerant. I went a week with no dairy. No luck.

I went a full week with no beer. Success :)mad:).

I went a full week with only my (unfiltered) homebrew. Bad news.

I went a full week with only commercial filtered micros. Success...OK, I can work with that.

I have filtered a couple batches for "wow" effect, but now I will be filtering almost all my beer through a 1 micron absolute filter. Hopefully, that will work out.

For the record:

Yes. I age my beer appropriately (3-4 weeks primary, sometimes shake force-carb, sometimes slow method).

No. No one else has mentioned "tummy-trouble" after drinking my beer.

I'm surprised you gut bacteria didn't adapt, like how many of us get yeast farts and sometimes even the cramps and runs when we start homebrewing or drinking unfiltered/unpasturized commercial beers, but in most cases that clears up in a few months as our flori becomes accustomed to it.

Are there other yeast driven things that you have issues with (like bread) for example? Because it sounds like you may have with your intestinal issues a higher sensitivity. You might want to look at some of the other things that may affect you, and see what else overlaps...Like any other "living" foods, like yogurt, pickles, sausage...things where living cultures have an important component in the creation of it.

One thing that occured to me though is that usually the micros aren't just filtered, they are also often pasturized if you filter and still have issues, you may need also to pasturize the beer as well, to actually kill the yeast in solution.

Good luck. You are in somewhat uncharted territory. But as someone with his own GI issues (but not noticably tied to beer yeast) I can empathize.

:mug:

It's not just yeast...

It's oligosacchirdes....

Afterall, there ain't no yeast in chili ;)

Lol! I thought of this, but Beano helps me with chili. It didn't help with homebrew. I tried that route really trying to avoid my yeast being at fault.

I have yet to test unfiltered commercial beers (hefe-weizens and what-not), but that's my next step. I'd like to point out that I'm not pounding 10 beers a night. I usually have 2 or 3 and, on occasion, as many as 6.

Revvy, good thoughts! I don't normally consume yogurt, but sausage and bread are common in my diet (I run a pizza place...pepperoni....crust...both made with organic processes..). Pasteurization seems like a daunting undertaking, although I love trying new processes for improving my beer. I don't have any clue how to go about that at a home level.

I thought my gut would adapt, but it's been getting homebrew for over 10 years now (constant for the last 5), and the cramps/runs have been pretty consistent. Sorry for the graphic nature of that comment.

I'm going to filter a stout tomorrow (I know, weird, right?), and in a week it'll be carbonated and I will "test" the theory there as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

I've been considering some filtering and/or pasteurizing too. My internals aren't coming around to homebrew as well either. A day or two back to bmc and all is well. It's gotten better, but I've been drinking homebrew for 6-8 months now and it still loosens things up more than I'd like.

You beat me to it. I was wondering if that method was good for beer too though. That thread is for Cider. I have no idea what heat pasteurizing beer after carbonation will do to the flavor...

"Intestianl Issues" is hardly a medical diagnosis.
What does this mean?
Gas? Everybody who homebrews knows of this issue and it is hardly anything to worry about.

dude I'm sure he knows the actual medical reason and didn't want to disclose it to the entire interwebs, just relax.

good luck to you curlyfat, let us know how your filtering goes. also, what kind of pizza place do you run? deep dish or NY?

Have you tried a probiotic? Supplementing the gut with beneficial bacteria to out-compete the yeast can be very helpful in cases like yours.

"Intestianl Issues" is hardly a medical diagnosis.
What does this mean?
Gas? Everybody who homebrews knows of this issue and it is hardly anything to worry about.
Did you miss the part where he went to his doctor? I don't think he's obligated to explain his entire medical record in detail on HBT.

Did you miss the part where he went to his doctor? I don't think he's obligated to explain his entire medical record in detail on HBT.

+1!! Normally I'm like "get over this clear beer thing and learn to love the yeastie, you bmc raised frat boy";) but in this case the op actually has health issues, and rather than being told to quit drinking by the doctor, he at least has a possible solution. So I think we should be supportive and try to come up with a solution so we can keep a brew brother drinking!

Have you tried a probiotic? Supplementing the gut with beneficial bacteria to out-compete the yeast can be very helpful in cases like yours.

:off: You know, I tried a certain pro-biotic yogurt that asks one to take a 30 day challenge, and by the end of the first week I had constant cramps and hershey squirts that wouldn't go away until I stopped eating it. Did some research online and found out that quite a few folks can't tolerate that even.

I have been preaching the wonders of fiber for years. I know it sounds counter productive, but I swear 90% of the time it helps. For years I have had problems with IBS type symptoms. My problems are on the loose side of things though. On a suggestion from my mother I tried some fiber capsules. 1 or 2 in the morning and 1 or 2 in the evening. With-in a day my intestines felt better than I could ever had imagined. A little gas maybe, but nice tight duces. I don't take the pills daily now, just once or twice a week when my gut starts acting up. I have recommended this to several people and all have been happy with the results. So it is definitely worth a try.

So what's wrong with wanting to filter your beer? I say if you want to, go for it. It's not that big a deal. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I had to. But I recently purchased a filter kit that I hope will clear up my beer where all other methods I've tried didn't. I have not used it yet, but I got it based on someone else's recommendation and it certainly seems to fit the need.

I think the whole thing, with 1 5 micron and 1 1micron filter element was under $50. And you can supposedly wash and sanitize the filters and reuse several times. I think they cost like $4 each anyway.

I was under the impression that a 1 micron would remove some flavor out of the beer and that a 2+micron would be enough to remove yeast. Am I totally wrong? BTW, if the yeast bothers your health, then hell yeah filter that ****!

Anyone else have trouble believing that yeast can make it through the digestive track alive, especially the stomach? That some pretty low ph for yeast to tolerate.

I think it has more to do with proteins and dextrins. I've never noticed any stomach ailments related to homebrew, and I've had at least one a day for almost 3 yrs. straight. I was told to expect it, never happened.

FWIW, I'm a pretty religious yogurt eater, and rarely have stomach trouble.

Anyone else have trouble believing that yeast can make it through the digestive track alive, especially the stomach? That some pretty low ph for yeast to tolerate.

Brewing yeast can tolerate a low pH for a short amount of time. Your stomach pH is 2 - 3. You wash yeast at 2.0 - 2.5 pH. So, yes, yeast will easily make it into your digestive track. ;)

To the OP, filtering beer is easy, effective, and requires a very small upfront investment (< $50). If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Filtration is easy, too easy to pass up as an option. The cartridge-type filters work really well and are a relatively inexpensive alternative. I prefer a plate-and-frame filter like this one:

image_1417.jpg

I can rent one from a LHWS for a few bucks and the cost of filter sheets. They're pretty pricey up-front, but if you know you're going to be filtering everything, I recommend going with one of those instead of the cartridge type, especially if you're going to be filtering much more than 5 gallons per run.

Here are some hints useful regardless of which filter you choose:

Make sure you have your beer as bright as it can be before beginning. Use a fining agent like gelatin, PolyClar and/or Isinglass to settle as much of the gunk as possible.

Make sure your beer is as cold as possible. This helps precipitate more gunk and makes it easier to force-carbonate after filtration.

Make sure your beer is properly aged for flavor development before filtering.

Carefully note unfiltered vs. filtered taste impressions. Filtering can strip some flavors. You may have to modify certain recipes to arrive at a suitable taste impression after filtering.

Cheers!

Bob

As much as we homebrewers denigrate filtration, I've had some tasty commercial brews that do it. I've never done it myself, but I keep thinking about trying it.

Thanks for the input, all!

My issues are fairly minor, but constant. My doctor said IBS, but it wasn't "bad" enough I wanted to start down the path of medication, so I started out figuring what was triggering it.

I'm going to try the fiber thing...maybe more oatmeal stout?;)

I already have filter setup, but don't generally bother with it unless I'm trying to turn a batch out quickly, or just really want a shine. I've never noticed a flavor issue with it, and we'll find out soon if it will actually help me or not. I doubt I'll end up pastuerizing unless someone has a quick way to pastuerize then quickly cool a keg...

Latest posts

Back