Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > drink outside the box

Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
mcody2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default drink outside the box

In order to expand my beer pallete i have been buying many different 6 packs of different brands and styles. Im new to homebrewing so i figured this type of research would be an important step tword what i was doing. I have been drinking lagger beers for many years and decided that if i was going to be homebrewing, it was time to "drink outside the box". I tried everything from ipa"s to stouts and lots of other things in between. all drinkable and all worthy of the charectoristics that make them unique... untill i tried Bass Pale Ale. Dont hate me for thinking with my tastebuds, but this stuff is awfull! coud I have gotten a bad batch, or did they name this stuff after the actual fish? was it fish i tasted, or wet dog... maybee old dish water. cant put my finger on it. Anyway all joking aside, is it supposed to laste like that? If it is, and your a fan of this beer, please send me all the hate mail you want because im officially calling you crazy.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #2
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Could have been a bad batch. First time I tried Bass (at least that I remember), it was at a restaurant, and it was very good tasting. Later, I bought a six pack and got home and it tasted like you described (all the above), and I ended up throwing them out!...which begs the question...oh, I'll start a new thread for that.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

It sounds like you got a bad bottle that hasn't been handled correctly. What you are describing sounds like oxygenation or something. It may have been on the shelf a long time and the conditions the beer is subjected to during transportation are less than ideal. Bass ale is a darn good beer.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
mcody2005

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

think i might try it again from another distributor. although i finished the 6 pack, i needed to drink 3 good beers for every 1 bass ale (3x6=18). I love research!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Porter fan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcody2005
think i might try it again from another distributor. although i finished the 6 pack, i needed to drink 3 good beers for every 1 bass ale (3x6=18). I love research!
LMAO!!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Whelk
Recipes 

Try to find somewhere that has Bass on tap--I promise you'll have a different experience. It's a fantastic beer, really very nice..sounds like you just had a bad batch.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
marshman
Recipes 

Bass has been hit or miss in my experience. I've had bottles a few times, and thus I'm leary to get it at restaurants. It's also been my experience that a bar/restaurant that has Bass usually has something more interesting, like Guiness, Tetleys, or perhaps an IPA.

I shall consider a tapped glass next time I'm out.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman
Bass has been hit or miss in my experience. I've had bottles a few times, and thus I'm leary to get it at restaurants. It's also been my experience that a bar/restaurant that has Bass usually has something more interesting, like Guiness, Tetleys, or perhaps an IPA.

I shall consider a tapped glass next time I'm out.

Yeah, I love Tetley's.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I purchased a single bottle of Bass Ale a few days back. I think it had sat for a while, had a really dry, wine-like taste. It wasn't bad per say, but not an experience worth repeating unless I know how old the beer is.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The first few times I had Bass it was in a black & tan. I tried it on it's own a few times and didn't care for it so much. I drink my Guinness straight-up now.