Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Yeast for fresh cider

Old 10-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
blazin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yeast for fresh cider

Yesterday I picked up 5 gallons of fresh unpasturized cider from the local orchard. I added in 2 lb of corn sugar and 5 campden tablets and it is currently in my sanitized carboy awaiting yeast. I read the sticky about yeasts but it seems to be more targeted towards using apple juice instead of fresh cider. I know a lot of people use Montrachet to make EdWort's Apfelwine. Would this same yeast work well with fresh cider? What other yeasts would people recommend when using fresh pressed cider?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Fletch78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin View Post
Yesterday I picked up 5 gallons of fresh unpasturized cider from the local orchard. I added in 2 lb of corn sugar and 5 campden tablets and it is currently in my sanitized carboy awaiting yeast. I read the sticky about yeasts but it seems to be more targeted towards using apple juice instead of fresh cider. I know a lot of people use Montrachet to make EdWort's Apfelwine. Would this same yeast work well with fresh cider? What other yeasts would people recommend when using fresh pressed cider?
Cville's sticky deals mostly with fresh pressed cider.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1699 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 4257

Fresh-pressed "cider" is simply unfiltered juice. Only in the US is this confusing, everywhere else juice is called juice & fermented apple juice is called cider. Here in the US there's "sweet cider" (juice, filtered or not) and "hard cider" (fermented juice). You can use any yeast strain you want, but you'll likely have the best results with either an ale yeast or a cider yeast; all of which should be available at your LHBS or from an online HBS. Hope that helps. Regards, GF.
blazin Likes This 
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
blazin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Gratis, that makes sense now. I was just getting mixed up on the terms. I think I'm going to go with Safale S-04 if my local homebrew shop has it. If not then I'll go with nottingham, I know they have that. Thanks again!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
JByer323
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depending on how you want it to ferment out, I'd be looking for Wyeast Cider or Sweet Mead. Not a big fan of White Lab's English Cider.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used Nottingham Ale yeast packet in mine.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
McKinley
Recipes 

I did a parallel ferment of a fresh juice cyser last year with nottingham, cote-du-blanc, redstar champagne, and the white labs dry english cider yeast. I let them all ferment in the 68 degree range.

IMO the cote-du-blanc and the nottingham were the best. The nottingham left a little more of the residual apple flavors, while the wine yeasts were more dry and a little more floral. I only let mine go about 3 months. I would bet that the wine yeasts require more aging to really "mature."

The champagne yeast was too dry and stripped a lot of the flavor away. The white labs yeast I didn't like as it left too much vinegar flavor (although that may have been technical on my part).

Cville kevin's sticky seems very well informed.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1247 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

My favorite yeast for cider has turned out to be my 'house' yeast for beer, too - WLP028 Edinburgh. I've tried California (WLP001), Nottingham, US-05 and Windsor. I like the Edinburgh by the best. Its a little slower, which makes it easier to time when the cider is done. Its clean when fermented at temps in the 60s, it flocculates (clears) really well, and produces a compact and relatively solid yeast bed, making it clearer and easier to rack.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #9
themax
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
IMO the cote-du-blanc and the nottingham were the best. The nottingham left a little more of the residual apple flavors, while the wine yeasts were more dry and a little more floral. I only let mine go about 3 months. I would bet that the wine yeasts require more aging to really "mature."
I have a similar experience with cote-du-blanc. A few days ago I tasted a cyser I made with UV pasteurized juice and this yeast when racking it to secondary. It was dry (0.999), with satisfying apple flavors and other interesting flavors. It had some "green" tastes and needs more time.

I also have a cyser with the same juice going in primary with Nottingham (started two weeks later). I plan to let this one ferment to dryness and can post how it tastes when I rack it to secondary.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is mine going to town with Nottingham