Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping and Oak Chips

Old 10-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
JZ_brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Dry Hopping and Oak Chips

Dry hopping:
Just throw them in? Or put them in a muslin bag?
How long is too long for dry hopping in a secondary?

Oak Chips
Same bag question.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It is sometimes recommended to boil the chips first to sanitize. You can do this in a pot on the stove or in a microwave. Duration depends on quantity of chips and type of beer.

For the hops, I usually just throw them in. About a week is good for a the hops. Contamination is not an issue with dry hopping.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I used to dry hop in a bag, but then just started throwing them in on their own after hearing about other guys doing it. So far no ill effects. I generally dry hop anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks, but I have dry hopped an amber ale for almost 4 months (not planned, son had health problems and couldn't get to bottling) and the beer came out great. More hop aroma than I had planned, but I liked it. Almost smelled like an IPA or something.

The only issue I could see with just adding the pellets into the fermenter is that you can't take them out, like you could if you put them in a bag. This would come in handy if you want to dry hop for a week, or so but don't want to or aren't ready to bottle when the dry hopping period is done. If they are in a bag you could take them out of the beer, but with no bag they are in there for good. I guess it's your choice, but just remember, if you use a bag, sanitize it before you put it in the beer.

Re: oak chips. I have never used them before, so I don't have any advice. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya.