Rochefort 10 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Rochefort 10

Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts

Move over Chimay Blue....I think I just found my favorite Belgium....11+% and drinkable as hell. wow...

Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
rsquared
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Move over Chimay Blue....I think I just found my favorite Belgium....11+% and drinkable as hell. wow...
I haven't tried the 10, but the Rochefort Trappist 8 was mighty tasty... Not quite as strong as the 10 at just over 9%, but still plenty high if ABV matters to you.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts

Nah, didn't buy it for the ABV, (never do). But I've been reading "Brew like a Monk" and trying the beers at my local bottle shop. It was usually hit or miss with Belgiums, but after reading the book I'm on a mission.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Keith_Mahoney
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a whole case of it in fridge out in the garage. I prefer it to Blue as well. I have a case of Chimay Cinq Cents in the fridge as well. That's my favorite Chimay now days. I got burnt out on the Blue drinking it too much.

Yesterday I just noticed a receipt tucked into the case of Rochefort 10. It's dated February 5, 2009. It was sitting in my cellar untouched for 15 months before I moved from Belgium. The whole case is still intact untouched.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
bknifefight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
PA
Liked 111 Times on 82 Posts

Well someone can only have one favorite Belgium because there is only one Belgium. As far as having a favorite BELGIAN, that's a whole different story!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Keith_Mahoney
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Well someone can only have one favorite Belgium because there is only one Belgium. As far as having a favorite BELGIAN, that's a whole different story!
Actually anyone who has spent any decent amount of time in Belgium can tell you there are 2 distinct and separate Belgiums, Walloonia and Flanders.
Heck for about six months while I lived there Belgium had no official government because one portion of the country refused to accept the government elected by the majority of the other part of the county.

Me personally, I prefer the Flanders Belgium after spending 3 years living in Walloonia.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Nah, didn't buy it for the ABV, (never do). But I've been reading "Brew like a Monk" and trying the beers at my local bottle shop. It was usually hit or miss with Belgiums, but after reading the book I'm on a mission.
I'm reading it as well and finding myself dreaming about picking up more bottles at the local store.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Houblon
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hot & sticky Fla.USA
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Mahoney View Post
Actually anyone who has spent any decent amount of time in Belgium can tell you there are 2 distinct and separate Belgiums, Walloonia and Flanders.
Heck for about six months while I lived there Belgium had no official government because one portion of the country refused to accept the government elected by the majority of the other part of the county.

Me personally, I prefer the Flanders Belgium after spending 3 years living in Walloonia.

I have a buddy who lives in Mons, he loves it there but I have to say the people in Walloonia can be hit or miss.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Keith_Mahoney
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah that's where I just moved from. Is your buddy military? Unfortunately the majority of people I encountered in Mons are prejudiced against outsiders due to the large NATO presence but the people in the outlying towns are much friendlier and accommodating.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
Houblon
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hot & sticky Fla.USA
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mahoney View Post
yeah that's where i just moved from. Is your buddy military?
shape