Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What to do with grape pulp?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
truckjohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If they are still fresh/juicy/unfermented -- dump them into another recipe or batch that you want to have a definite "Grape-ish-ness" to it....

If you are talking fermented pomace....... Compost/fertilizer/etc...

Sling them out back behind the fence.... they make fine 100% Organic fertilizer.... but the seeds may sprout, so don't sling them in the grass or flower beds.....

Thanks

John

Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
rokefert
Recipes 

This year I took the remains of a 6 gal batch of grape wine made and made a secondary 3 gallon batch from the leftover must. I just used the same recipe but added a bit more sugar to make up for what was lost from the must in the first batch to get my hydrometer reading to the correct level. I have racked it twice and will be ready to bottle it in a week. The color is a a bit less intense as is the actual flavor of the wine compared to the "mother" batch, but I figure it would be good to crack this stuff out once your tastebuds are a bit dulled from a bottle or two of the good stuff with company, and this rreally is good enough on its own. I have since been making one gallon batches of the same thing whenever I make a 6 gallon batch and use it to top off the 6 gal batch so I dont lose headspace or quantity and this way I am using basically the same wine to top off with. Its cheaper and more similar than using a commercially made wine because I simply want my wine to taste like the wine I made.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Some winemakers use the pulp to make grappa.

However, making grappa requires distillation, so its discussion is not permitted on this forum.