Irish Red Ale Caffrey's Irish Ale clone - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Irish Red Ale Caffrey's Irish Ale clone

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
zzflash
Recipes 

Sep 2011
north sydney, nova scotia

I am not a kegger yet, still on the bottle. Any idea how this would fair in a bottle??? I drank Cafferys faithfully till it was lost, so finding this was great.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
CGJesse
Recipes 

Dec 2011
, TEXAS

Thanks for this! I'm just getting started in all this but my ultimate goal was to eventually brew a quality Caffrey's-like beer. I was first introduced to it in RiRa's on church street Burlington, VT. The last time I found it was in a bar in Victoria, BC. I'll definitely be giving this recipe a try once I get the hang of home brewing basics. Thanks again for the post.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
venquessa
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Bangor, UK
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bump. I live in Northern Ireland. I can still get Cafferys. Although it depends what beer shop or pub you are in. Can be tricky to find.

I also have my eyes on this as a first all grain brew. Still a few steps to go for me.

The pictured beer does not seem to have that deep amber hue I'm familiar with though. Is it possible to shift the recipe towards the red with different crystals without losing the creamy caramel tone?

Edit, actually, if it tastes anything like Cafferys then I don't care what it looks like

BTW, the cans I last had, where "widget" cans. I think they are basically canned flat under pressure, with a sealed compartment at the bottom which is held down, sealed by the pressure of the beer. As soon as you crack the pull, the pressure drops, the false bottom lifts releasing a solid which releases nitrogen into the beer rapidly. I was told the best way to pour was to open the can wait 1 or 2 seconds and completely invert into your glass, then lift it out as it empties. Seems to work, gets a better head than pouring like a lager.

Guinness had a similar gizmo in their cans, don't know if they still do, been years since I had Guinness, not a big fan.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
tiguerhawk
Recipes 

Dec 2012

I did this last year and bottled it. It doesn't match the nitro keg, but was still very solid. Like others, I haven't had a Caffrey's in 10 years, but this invokes memories.

Caffrey's II in primary now. I am renaming it to McCaffery's in honor of Iowa Hoops Coach!

Will have ready just in time for St. Pat's!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #15
cryptofix
Recipes 

Sep 2012

I called Caffrey's 'nectar of the gods'. I fell in love with it the second day I was in England. Too bad Coors cancelled the imports. Less competition for them I guess. I will have to try this recipe.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
RRJLind
Recipes 

Jul 2013
, IL

I know this is an old post but i just transferred this to secondary and it taste delicious. I should brew another right now because i know how fast the first one will go. Do you carb with co2, then put it on beer gas? Thanx

Old 03-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It has been several years since I did this, but I believe that I just put it in the key and used the nitrogen mix. Then using a stout faucet it came out creamy.