Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is all PETE/PET Plastic the same?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Micycle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is all PETE/PET Plastic the same?

I've been told both, that PETE/PET plastic is fine for brewing, and that 5 gallon water jugs will allow oxygen to slowly leak in. I've got in my possession a 5 gallon water jug marked "For Water Only" with the number 1 recycling symbol (PETE/PET) marked on the bottom. Anyone know if this should be fine for brewing? Also looking for any info to back that up if possible.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Dynachrome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 492

How long are you going to ferment for? If it's just a couple weeks, I'd bet youd be fine. I use 5 gallon buckets with lids and don't seal them really tight - just gravity. The yeast make CO2 and that kind of pushes the oxygenout/yeast probably eats a bit too.

So far I've had good luck. You have to watch for the CO2 production to stop/kreusen to fall. You might get some oxygen after that point. I try to minimize that. (I'm assuming you're brewing on a limited budget like me.)

Good luck.