Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The Great Fridge Project

Old 08-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
tnlandsailor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default The Great Fridge Project

I don't know what it is, but eventually, you just need better "stuff". I've made some upgrades to my brewery this year, the most significant was making it possible to brew 10 - 12 gallon batches. I upgraded the kettles to handle the volume, and then found a perfect 60 quart cooler at Sears for mashing. I'm all set - except my keg fridge still only holds 3 kegs. This just won't do will it? So I break the news to my wife, "Honey, I need a new beer fridge". She's all over it. She looks at our kitchen fridge and says "why don't we get a new one for the kitchen and you can have this one?" Score. I break out the tape measure and it will easily hold 6 kegs with room to spare. The goosebumps start to appear.

Then, through sheer serendipity, I get a call from someone who wants to buy one of my favorite toys, my beloved landsailor. For those of you scractching your heads, go here: www.nalsa.org. So now, I have built-in financing to go hog wild and trick out the fridge. And the best part is, I already found someone to buy the old one! Homebrew clubs, you gotta love 'em.

I've decided to document the whole conversion with lots of pics and text. I'll post back to this thread on my progress.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 08-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?!? Can't wait to see the project as it comes along.

loop

Old 08-23-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
I break out the tape measure and it will easily hold 6 kegs with room to spare.

Your fridge will hold 6 corny kegs? Good grief that's a big friggin' fridge!

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The force is with you , Grasshoppa

Old 08-23-2005, 02:58 AM   #5
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So what's your new username going to be?
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 08-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
So what's your new username going to be?
I'll keep my name. I'll always be a landsailor at heart. The guy I sold it to lives in Vegas and said I could go out there any time and sail with him. I'll keep it in mind. In the meantime, brewing goes on.......

The first snag in the otherwise seamless fridge project has reared it's ugly head. I never thought to check the height of the fridge compartment. It was bigger, so surely it was as tall or taller than the current one, right? WRONG! There's less than an inch of clearance between the top of the keg and the ceiling. That won't do, especially with 6 kegs. Trying to reach the back kegs to disconnect anything is impossible with this little space at the top. Plus, I need space to mount the gas distribution manifold. Pin lock kegs are a bit shorter, but they are also bigger around which prevents 6 from fitting inside the space.

So, I tear out the shelves, including the bottom drawers which I was hoping to keep in tact, and see what can be done. Removing the drawers yields about 8 inches of vertical space, but just like most refrigs, there is a slope from the very bottom of the compartment under the bottom drawers that takes up about 1/3 of the depth and slopes up toward the back. The good news here is that removing the bottom shelf frees up at least an inch of vertical space in the very back, and I think I can stack the front row of kegs on the very bottom and the back row right above the slope. This gives a two tier configuration with enough vertical space to access the connectors on all the kegs and enough vertical space to mount the gas manifolds just above the front row of kegs. Not what I originally planned, but workable.

A picture says a thousand words, and I'll take those soon to show everyone what I have to work with. I just have to excercise my carpentry skills to build a new base for the interior to hold the kegs vertically where I need them. The bottom drawers would have made a great storage bin for other stuff, but the beer is more important, so the drawers must go. I still have all the shelves on the inside of the door.

So, despite the small set back, we are still a go for the project. I've put together the materials list and will begin ordering parts shortly. The conversion begins......

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Home of the Hop Stopper!

Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

"The bottom drawers would have made a great storage bin for other stuff, but the beer is more important, so the drawers must go."

Glad to see you have your priorities straight!

loop

Old 09-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

The project continues......

It is actually nearing completion. I've fitted the bottom with shelves and completed the gas distribution manifold. I'm waiting on kegs and faucets which should arrive this week. I'll have a PDF file completed of the conversion including lots of photos by next week. Wish me luck.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Home of the Hop Stopper!

Old 12-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
tnlandsailor

Recipes