Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Inline filter for pure oxygen?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Windigstadt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Inline filter for pure oxygen?

I just ordered an O2 regulator so I can start aerating my beer with pure oxygen. My question for those of you who use a disposable oxygen tank... Do you use an inline filter? It appears most homebrew stores only sell them for use with aquarium pumps that draw ambient air. On one hand, $5 for a filter isn't that much for piece of mind, but on the other hand if it's not necessary I'll save my money for the next trip to the bar. What say ye?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
McCheese352
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using the pure O2 setup without a filter for about a year now without any problems.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCheese352 View Post
I've been using the pure O2 setup without a filter for about a year now without any problems.
John Palmer asserted on a Brew Strong podcast that nothing can live in pure O2 or CO2. I wouldn't worry about a filter.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigstadt View Post
I just ordered an O2 regulator so I can start aerating my beer with pure oxygen. My question for those of you who use a disposable oxygen tank... Do you use an inline filter? It appears most homebrew stores only sell them for use with aquarium pumps that draw ambient air. On one hand, $5 for a filter isn't that much for piece of mind, but on the other hand if it's not necessary I'll save my money for the next trip to the bar. What say ye?
Can anyone say overkill! No i'm just kidding. It's just not necessary to put an inline filter on an O2 system. Humans can't even survive in pure oxygen. There is such a thing as oxygen narcosis and all living things including baddies can't survive in a pure single-species gaseous environment.

P.S. Where you at in Chicago? I'm brewing up in the Ravenswood neighborhood, but I'd love to meet another fellow homebrewer.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
mauer_62
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

just my $0.02 but the disposible oxygen bottles are intended for welding purposes only. citizens of the us cannot purchase pure o2 since it is a controled substance.(unless you steal it from grandma). you never know what is in those bottles that can enter your beer.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauer_62 View Post
just my $0.02 but the disposible oxygen bottles are intended for welding purposes only. citizens of the us cannot purchase pure o2 since it is a controled substance.(unless you steal it from grandma). you never know what is in those bottles that can enter your beer.
It's not a controlled substance per se, but rather it requires a prescription because when used medically for inhalation in a patient, a large enough amount can be fatal. See the following quote from Yahoo Health on this https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6033442AA6Jbyt.

Welding oxygen, if inhaled can be just as fatal in the wrong amount, but it's not intended for inhalation and is just not certified to as stringent a standard of purity as medical oxygen when filled at a welding shop, for example. Medical oxygen also requires a completely different regulator. It is controlled in the sense that they require a prescription, but they usually are filled from the same equipment, albeit the medical oxygen tanks are treated a little better than the welding tanks and the person filling them has to follow a more strict set of procedures in order to maintain said certification.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
hunter_la5
Administrator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2514 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 5301

Solid necropost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977Brewer View Post
Middle daughter is happily playing in our living room floor, so I kicked her squarely in the middle of the forehead. That left a mark.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:26 AM   #8
roper4092
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Been using those disposable bottles of oxygen with no filter for well over 100 batches. No issues at all.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
hunter_la5
Administrator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2514 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 5301

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper4092 View Post
Been using those disposable bottles of oxygen with no filter for well over 100 batches. No issues at all.

Ditto, but for less batches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977Brewer View Post
Middle daughter is happily playing in our living room floor, so I kicked her squarely in the middle of the forehead. That left a mark.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #10
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

No, you definitely do not need a filter when oxygenating your wort.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook