Anyone have a REAL lion's stout clone? - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone have a REAL lion's stout clone?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 AM   #51
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3190 Times on 1885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
can you post the jamaican dragon stout recipe?
You mean other than the one that is quoted 3 posts above yours, as well as several other versions at the beginning of this thread?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #52
bill42
Recipes 

May 2011
verona, nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You mean other than the one that is quoted 3 posts above yours, as well as several other versions at the beginning of this thread?
I mean Kris's version, the one where he quotes " sure replication of since i visitied the brewery"

Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #53
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Hey Revvy,

If you read this, did you end up going with the lactose? I'm using a slightly tweaked version of Kris' recipe, fermenting right now, and will be adding lactose, burnt sugar, and a couple pounds of toasted coconut, before getting racked to a used rum barrel for some rum flavor and (hopefully) a very subtle touch of oak, and I'm wondering what you think about the lactose - was planning to add a half pound.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #54
Apendecto

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Rockwood, MI
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Well, it's been a while. Any new info? Did it mellow into perfection? Try any other recipes?

I'm also in the Detroitish area. Where did you get some of this stuff?

Thanks for having the only decent drive on this beer on the entire internet.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #55
BBBF
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Chicago
Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts

Trying my hand at this beer has been on my To Do List ever since Revvy started this thread. It is amazing that it has been one of my next beers all this time. I picked up some jaggery and kithul treacle today. I was excited to see where the treacle is from.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #56
Witherby
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Holden, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Reviving this thread because my homebrew club is having quarterly competitions on some of the new styles in the 2015 BJCP style guide and the next style we have chosen is tropical stout. And BYO now has Kristen England's Dragon Stout recipe on their website (buried in his article on using debittered black malt) and this thread is frankly the most useful thing on the internets about tropical stout so I thought I would help close the loop:
https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1...red-black-malt

I'm not sure I will even like the beer, but I am thinking I will set aside one gallon of the beer for the competition and turn the rest of the batch into a mole stout, as tropical stout seems to be the perfect base for that style of beer.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #57
MichaelBrock

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Alachua, FL
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Witherby, did you brew the Dragon Stout clone? I plan on brewing a tropical stout some time soon and, apparently like quite a few others, I'm having some difficulty finding a tested recipe.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #58
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3190 Times on 1885 Posts

Has anyone ever found sinimar?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #59
MichaelBrock

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Alachua, FL
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Has anyone ever found sinimar?
It looks like More Beer, Williams Brewing, and Midwest Supplies all carry a product they refer to as "sinimar".

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-26-2016, 01:46 AM   #60
Witherby
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Holden, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
Witherby, did you brew the Dragon Stout clone? I plan on brewing a tropical stout some time soon and, apparently like quite a few others, I'm having some difficulty finding a tested recipe.
I finally brewed it just last week, so it isn't a tested recipe yet. Here is what I went with for a 3 gallon batch:

7 lb Pale 2-Row (UK)
8 oz Crystal 80L (US)
8 oz De-Bittered Black (BE)
8 oz Flaked Oats
1 lb Piloncillo (Panela) sugar (Boil)
5 oz Lactose (Boil)

0.6 oz Magnum (US) 60 min Boil

English Ale Yeast White Labs WLP002

Kris England said that his recipe often ends up drying out too much, and with all of that sugar in my recipe that was a risk, so my plan was to mash high, add lactose, and use a yeast that isn't super attenuative. It sure smells good!

Revvy Likes This