Uerige Inspired Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Very well balanced Alt that is full of German flavor.
This recipe was based mostly on a post Denny Conn made a few years back. The recipe he posted came from Dr. Frank Hebmuller, who is the brew master and executive brewer at Zum Uerige. I made a few minor revisions based on OG and available hops and grains. I must say that this recipe is very well balanced and IMHO, very close to Uerige.

8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.34 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.92 %
2.6 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.75 %

0.75 oz Tradition [5.80 %] (90 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [7.50 %] (75 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
1.00 oz Spalter [2.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.4 IBU

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

Mashed at 158. I did a single step, but a decoction would be a nice improvement. The original post suggested a mash schedule with rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Also, Ferment COOL! Although I don't have the capability to bulk condition, I bottled, let it carbonate for 2-3 weeks, and then put them in the fridge. This beer wasn't ready until they had been in the fridge for a month. Super clear and very tasty!

35 IBU's seems way low. Don't know if you've ever had the pleasure of trying Uerige on tap (if you find a bottle here in the States it's likely been sitting around a long time) but "well-balanced" is not a phrase I would use to describe it. In fact, a quick Google search turned up B. United's website, which indicates it should be 50 IBU's. Anyway, 35 IBU's is still to style and will make an excellent Alt (personally, I find Uerige to be TOO bitter) but if you're looking to clone Uerige you'll want to up the hops.

Also, if you want to do a decoction next time but want to keep things relatively simple, I would mash in at 131°F and then decoct up to 158°F... I actually tend to go 131°F and 153°F, but I use a Munich-heavy malt bill so I go lower on the sacc rest so it doesn't get too heavy.

Well I suppose "well-balanced" is a matter of perspective. Many describe Fuller's ESB as well balanced, but I find it WAY too malty. I wouldn't up the hops on this one to try to mimic a 50 IBU number without knowing their grain bill for 5 gallons. BTW, not that it makes much of a difference, the 35.6 was a typo... it is really 36.5. I have not tried Uerige on tap, and I don't know how old the ones I have had are, but this one is close to the ones I have had.

The last Alt that I did was at 48.7 IBUs, and I thought it too hoppy, even compared to Uerige. I hope to do another batch next week; i've not decided to what IBU level yet.

My software (promash) seems to calculate IBUs a little lower than some recipes i've seen on this forum, so perhaps my 48.7 was much higher.

-Moe

Ok, I should probably update this post. After several months in the fridge, the bitterness definitely subsided. And like Windigstadt suggested, as compared to Uerige, the bitterness now might be a little bit low. I still don't think I would go all the way to 50 IBU's, but bumping up either the Tradition or Pearle by .25 oz would get you up to about 43 IBUs.

Thanx for the update....I have been following this post, and have been thinking and researching alot for my own AG alt'ish concoction,
sounds like a good batch you have.
I have done some past extract/partials 1007 wy brews, always pretty good, then some AG apa's mostly, But my temp control and AG brew equip limited before, now with some more equip having a wort chiller and propane burner, i knew i wanted an alt.

I just drank a hydro sample of mine, and its tasty 6 days primary 1.012 right now using WL036 dusseldorf yeast, I hav e 50/50% pilsner/munich base, pearl/spalt/mt-hood hops.....weather is on my side right now giving me a constant 60-62 deg in my storeroom, and plan about 3 weeks in secondary in a bath of ice water:) so i can have one around x-mas
I sure wish i could find urerige here, i was lucky to get 'diebels alt' here back in 02-04 but
then it dissapeared:( no longer available. Keep the alts comin!

Never heard of Diebels. And Uerige is also VERY hard to find around here. Every once in a while I find a single at a specialty store. Let us know how your alt turns out. I was interested in the WLP036, but my LHBS didn't have any.

Well I really liked the diebels, smooth, caramel was eveident, just a hint of roast. it seems they dont export anything anymore, and they're supposedly trying to promote a pils? go figure......
Im sure there is better alt's, im on a mission at least once a week looking for even an american style version, the beer/liquor specialty store employees look at me with a lost look when i ask about a uerige sticke? so i knew brewing one was my only way to get a true alt. I wanted one not so dry, so i opted to try the 036 yeast, i know i will never use the kolsch 029 again, it just comes out to dry for my liking, my lhbs didnt carry 036, so i ordered from ahs which is not too far from me.
sure it might be out of alt style, but I have a lb of c60 and a 1/2lb of caramunich that should satisfy my malt craving, along with 50% munich.
I'll bottle one when i transfer and repost with a description.....thnx again for the cool thread about the best german style i know of.
p.s. I just pulled my bucket inside, last night the temps dropped to 32-33 degrees so my cold crash has started, and im ready to transfer and condition, sadly my beers will need to lager mostly in the bottle, since i cant get a carboy in the fridge....later

I'm currently lagering my alt. I'm shooting for a Uerige clone (i've not been succesful in the 4-5 batches i've tried),,,,, the tasting after first fermentation lead me to believe I'm on the right track. I should be drinking it in a couple weeks and will update.... and post recipe if it turns out worth a darn.

Uerige is available here in Des Moines, but it is not like drinking the fresh stuff in Düsseldorf. I'd also add (IMO) that Alts like Diebels and Frankenheim are nothing like Uerige...... at least not fresh Uerige. Uerige is probably the hoppiest of Alts, which is also why it's probably my favorite. Funny though, my second favorite is Fuchsen, which is probably the least hoppy, but very well balanced.

Great, now i'm thirsty ;-)

I agree with everyone that Uerige is a bit bitter. And that if you bumped up the IBU's on this one a bit, it would likely be spot on to Uerige. But like you guys, I also like alts that are a little less bitter, so I personally won't up the IBU's in this when I make it again, because even though it was less bitter than Uerige, I actually liked it a lot more than Uerige! You guys have to let me know how your alts turn out and if they are good if you could post a link to your recipes. I love trying different recipes and seeing how the changes affect the overall flavor. Heck, even when I tap into my beers, I rarely drink just one type in the session.

Good info guys, speaking of ibu's,I like hops but damn! promash says i over did it, because of my fwh I plugged in at 60 ibu's!! After doing some more reading and thinking, im not going to secondary this one, im at fg 1.012, will do 14-16 days primary, and cold.

I just drank a or too:)sample with a smile on my face, the taste of mount hood and spalt is there without it being too bitter, and no "out of alt style" hop aroma, just good, and i kinda wish i could smell more hop, but the color is right on imo (deep copper), Slight brown ale taste, with a bit less roast.

I shall be back to see what you men have on this style....
ps..The way you describe uerige, i think i want some, and the sticke one for sure...

Back