Am I wrong? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Am I wrong?

Old 01-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
LarMoeCur
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts

I just don't know what it is, but I know I can homebrew better than half of the mircobrew bottles I buy. I just bought a 6 pack of Victory's Hop Devil IPA. Yes it is hoppy but no malt taste at all. My house IPA taste 100% better. I bought a 6 pack of SN Celebration Ale my Winterbrew is 100% better. The list goes on and on.

There are some really great beers out there that I can not compete with, but it seems as off late there are some really lame beers in the stores. Is it just me? Am I tanted?

Old 01-20-2007, 02:49 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Really hoppy ales & left coast IPAs especially do not have much of a shelf life. They get bitter in a weird way rather quickly. By the same token, once you start tuning recipes to your own tastes, you are on a slippery slope.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Chester, VA
Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Really hoppy ales & left coast IPAs especially do not have much of a shelf life. They get bitter in a weird way rather quickly. By the same token, once you start tuning recipes to your own tastes, you are on a slippery slope.
This seems weird to me. Weren't IPA's originally brewed to survive the long travel from Britain to India?

Not trying to Challenge you David, it just seems odd to me. Maybe these brewers are doing something different or maybe the original IPA's didn't taste that good (compared to today's standards) after arriving at their destination.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
This seems weird to me. Weren't IPA's originally brewed to survive the long travel from Britain to India?

Not trying to Challenge you David, it just seems odd to me. Maybe these brewers are doing something different or maybe the original IPA's didn't taste that good (compared to today's standards) after arriving at their destination.
Hops effectiveness as a perservative vs. hops retaining their hoppy goodness.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
ALPS
Recipes 

Oct 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Hops effectiveness as a perservative vs. hops retaining their hoppy goodness.
These kegs of high gravity ale were dry hopped with several ounces, if not pounds, of the finest quality hops to help preserve them during a slow boat ride from England to India. The temps were not stable, the seas were rough and nobody racked the beer off the hops after a week or two.

If the beer wasn't good, I doubt the style would have survived long.

To the original poster: yes, we are all tainted... with good taste for good beer. It seems to me that there are a lot of breweries jumping on the microbrew band wagon, trying their hand at craft brewing and experimenting with different styles. With the recent interest in the US for *good* beer, the market appears to be flooded with all kinds of microbrews. Some are not that good and won't last long. Some are exceptional and stand out from the rest, but these are rare.