Damn! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Damn!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Hardball
Recipes 

Nov 2006
Nipomo, CA

I made an APA which I bottled on 12/29. After 2 weeks I tasted it and it was good for my first attempt in almost 2 years. Then this week I put a few in the fridge for the big 3 week test and...

....terrible after-taste, almost metallic. Really disappointed, maybe I should never have posted this....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19810

Damn Murphy's Law!

Also have chill haze for the first time ever brewing. I know that goes away but the after-taste has me perplexed. Oh well brewing another this weekend and hopefully it goes better.
Secondary: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Commercial
RIP:English Special Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, IPA, American Wheat w/Raspberry Puree, Oatmeal Stout, Summit IPA

Old 01-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Wheat King

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

sorry to hear that, man. im afraid my latest batch is also 'bad', but im giving it the full 3 weeks before i truly judge it. tasted after 1 week, and it had a strange pickly taste, yes like pickles. please please please let that change 3 weeks is this tuesday and i have my fingers crossed.
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Next:

Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'd put the rest in a cool, dark place and forget about it for 2 or three months. Then try it again. Oh, and don't chill it in the fridge. Put it in a bucket of ice water for about 15 minutes before you drink it. That way you won't have chill haze.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 AM   #4
kleinbeer
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Shepparton Australia
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive had brews that taste metallic early but after ive left them for a couple of months in a dark place they have become much easier to drink. I generally try and give all my brews two months in waiting before i even try them and generally thats enough.

Give it a bit longer and try again.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

It'll be a different beer in 2-3 months.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Hardball
Recipes 

Nov 2006
Nipomo, CA

Thanks for the advice!

The beers not totally undrinkable but it isn't something I would flaunt in front of people just yet!

I have 20 in the fridge right now and I will store the other 24 for a couple months and see what happens.

Thanks again.
RIP:English Special Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, IPA, American Wheat w/Raspberry Puree, Oatmeal Stout, Summit IPA

Old 01-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

If it's not to good yet I wouldn't waste the fridge space. It'll slow doen the conditioning.

Plus how do you know the light isn't staying on when you close the door.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Hardball
Recipes 

Nov 2006
Nipomo, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
If it's not to good yet I wouldn't waste the fridge space. It'll slow doen the conditioning.

Plus how do you know the light isn't staying on when you close the door.
I normally would not chill them but I have nothing else to drink and I am not spending $8 for a six pack of beer. The prices are getting ridiculous.