Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Which bottles to use when bottling a sour?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
cmdrico7812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Which bottles to use when bottling a sour?

I have 10 gallons of sour that I need to bottle. One is a Flemish Red and the other is a bastard Oude Bruin. Can I bottle these in regular 12 oz. amber bottles after adding priming sugar? Do I need to add yeast at bottling as well? Thanks for your help.

Eric

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Regular bottles can sustain only around 3 or 3.3 volumes of CO2 if I remember correctly. If you desire more than that or predict the bottles will fully attenuate over time (thus going higher than 3 volumes), get champagne bottles. My LHBS lets you borrow/rent the floor corker to bottle a batch. The alternative is the wide-necked belgians that you can cap, but even those require a special capper.