so I brewed up this recipe Yesterday. I started my Brew day at 9am.
I started with Baking two cans of 32oz Libby's pumpkin in oven and sprinkle with brown sugar for 1 hour while I had that going I was heating my strike water. I had told some people I'd mash in at 11am so I waited it out. Come 11am I had my 13 gallons of strike water hot and ready to transfer. (im thinking wow 13 gallons of water plus 40#'s of grains seems like a lot not sure if it will all fit) so I start to dough in with one 16# bucket of milled grains and the water level rises within a few inches of the top of the keggle. HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM.... no way is this all fitting in my Mash Tun. so after debating on what I shall do I figured I'd use my HLT as a holding vessel to fit the extra water / wort. I drained off about 3 gallons into the HLT added the rest of the grain and starting to recirculate: MLT > Pump1 > HLT > Pump2 > RIMS > MLT. Mind you this took a good 40 minutes to get setup and figured out so by then my temps had dropped to 130's in my MLT
I mis-read my sparge water amounts and tough it said to use .97 gallons which seemed like hardly enough so I heated up 3 gallons instead. turns it it wanted to me use 7 gallons to mash out, and .97 gallons to complete the mash. Turns out I didn't end up with 13.5 gallons preboil like I should have. I had 9.5 I thought about adding top off water but didn't want my SG to suffer as it was it was already 1.068 instead of the 1.08X it should have been. at 15 minutes I dumped in about 2#'s Brown sugar and ended up with 7 gallons of 1.110 OG Wort... I pitched at 2L starter of WLP005 that was on a stir plate. only time will tell.
questing to all who brewed this in 10 gallons, what vessel did you use to mash in.
oh and to make things worse one of my Chugger pumps was nearly out of commission. It would barely and I mean barely pump wort back up into the brew keggle.