Autumn Seasonal Beer Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Autumn Seasonal Beer Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #101
MacGruber
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I thought I was going to open up a can of worms with that bourbon vanilla extract. You can make your own but make sure it's balanced. For me, TJ's can't be beat.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #102
barnhs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Aug 2012
centerville, oh
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber
I thought I was going to open up a can of worms with that bourbon vanilla extract. You can make your own but make sure it's balanced. For me, TJ's can't be beat.
Brewed last night, and it's going to be BIG. Hit 1.100 in OG. Will proceed with caution on the vanilla. All the talk of bourbon vanilla beans made me think of something other than vodka. Thought about infusing rum too, but MM sounded like it was more appropriate.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #103
MacGruber
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mine is still bubbling every four to five seconds and the yeast are going crazy in there.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #104
kingmatt

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Souderton, PA
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

Brewed up my second attempt at this on Sunday and tweaked the recipe a bit from last year.

I did a 50/50 blend of 2-Row and Vienna for the base to give it a bit more of a biscuit character. I also baked a can (29oz) of Libby's pumpkin that I added some pumpkin pie spice too for 30 min and added it to the mash (I felt a little disingenuous calling it a pumpkin ale without a little pumpkin in there).

I also split and am soaking a vanilla bean in dark rum and will add the whole mix to the secondary.

It is chugging away now so I will post back with the results in a few weeks
On Deck: Conan IPA the next generation
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #105
jwible204
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I brewed this up yesterday, also tweaking the recipe to what I had on hand. I swapped out the C20 for 1# C60, 2# C40 and 1# CaraPils. I also baked canned pumpkin with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg because I'm entering it into a competition that requires real pumpkin to be in the beer. I mashed it for the 60 minutes.

My OG was 1.086 as I was a tad low on efficiency, but I'm still very happy with the results. The beer tastes/smells great already. When I added the spices @ 5 minutes everyone at the brew-event immediately knew what I was brewing.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #106
jwible204
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnhs View Post
Brewed last night, and it's going to be BIG. Hit 1.100 in OG. Will proceed with caution on the vanilla. All the talk of bourbon vanilla beans made me think of something other than vodka. Thought about infusing rum too, but MM sounded like it was more appropriate.

Will let you know how it turns out.
That's going to be an absolute monster, holy ****. I'm curious as to how well it attenuates, lets us know!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #107
LazyPasta
Recipes 

Jul 2012
State College, PA

So I brewed this on Saturday and it didn't hit me until right now that I didn't even put my spices in!!!!! That's what I get for trying to brew while a bunch of other things are going on all around me. Anyways, my plan of action now is to wait until this absolutely ferocious fermentation dies down a bit and then add the spices. I know it won't be the same as being boiled in, but hopefully if I very carefully swirl them in, it may get some of the flavor? What do you guys think? UGH!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #108
jwible204
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Just boil them with a small amount of water to sanitize, cool and swirl in. Its the same as if you added to the boil.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #109
barnhs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Aug 2012
centerville, oh
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
That's going to be an absolute monster, holy ****. I'm curious as to how well it attenuates, lets us know!
You and me both. Thought about fermenting lower than 70, but was concerned she'd never finish. Also, pitched a 800ml starter in my 3 gallon batch to make sure our boys "took the beach". They did. On the second day, was worried the Krousen was going to overflow my 5 gallon karboy. I'm three days in, and things have slowed considerably. will take a reading later tonight and see where it lands.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #110
barnhs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Aug 2012
centerville, oh
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnhs

You and me both. Thought about fermenting lower than 70, but was concerned she'd never finish. Also, pitched a 800ml starter in my 3 gallon batch to make sure our boys "took the beach". They did. On the second day, was worried the Krousen was going to overflow my 5 gallon karboy. I'm three days in, and things have slowed considerably. will take a reading later tonight and see where it lands.
Ok. Just took a gravity reading. 1.030 after 3 days, so looking really good on that front. But strong Banana Esters. Fermenting at 70, so its in the Wyeast range. Thoughts? High gravity stressing the yeast? Will the banana esters subside?