Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop opinions...
Old 10-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Hop opinions...

I'd guess ingredients is the best place for this - move it as you feel necessary.

I had a guy give me some fresh hops. He has two varieties, Cascade and Williamette. Only problem is his vine markers were destroyed and he didn't know which vine is which. I have already dried them. I have just under 6 oz of one that I suspect is the Cascade - more aromatic, has that grapefruity characteristic, and the cones were noticably smaller than the other variety - though the difference was small. You can smell this one when you stick your head in the bag without crushing a cone - not a strong smell until you crush a cone. The other I have just under 4 oz of, cones were slightly bigger, and you don't smell much until you crush a cone and its somewhat milder in odor than the other.

I'm going to stick with that first I describe is Cascade and the second the Williamette but am open for opinions. I'll likely use these for dry hopping an IPA or make my first APA.

Will run for beer...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 135 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sounds about right. Cascade will have a far more obvious aroma than Willamette, and have a distinct citrus nose. Willamette is a Fuggle cultivar, so the aromas of those cones won't be as obvious.

Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands