Strange smelling fermentation - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Strange smelling fermentation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
RyanN
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
SW Michigan
Posts: 62

I took a sample out to give it a try but the smell is so strong I cannot bring myself to taste it. I would describe the smell as a plastic medicinal chemical smell....I can't really describe it exactly. It kind of burns your nose when you take a sniff. Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm smelling and the possible causes of it?

I don't think this is savable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
jfr1111
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 1,633
Liked 67 Times on 58 Posts


Taste it. Pinch your nose if you have to, but taste it. Don't write it off before you have at least took a taste. My witbier smelled like roadkill filled with rotten eggs and had a similar milky appearance due to the yeast.

The smell is now gone and the beer is quite tasty.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
HH60gunner
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Tucson, AZ
Posts: 387
Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts


Worst case scenario you bottle it and throw it in a closet and take it out months later to see if flavor and smell have improved.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
RyanN
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
SW Michigan
Posts: 62

At some point this weekend I may force myself to try this but I'm imagining it tasting like....horrible chemical rubbery liquid. I just can't imagine this turning out well. Thinking about the smell makes my stomach turn. My best guess is that this beer was infected by wild yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #15
YeastFarmerBeemer
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Lenox, Ia
Posts: 9
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
At some point this weekend I may force myself to try this but I'm imagining it tasting like....horrible chemical rubbery liquid. I just can't imagine this turning out well. Thinking about the smell makes my stomach turn. My best guess is that this beer was infected by wild yeast.
I don't think a wild yeast would make it smell really bad, slightly off at most. I am currently stepping up a wild yeast that I harvested from apples off our backyard tree and it smells like yeast (well actually it is starting to smell like yeasty cider since I used apple juice for the last 2 step ups).
Also the smell "burning your nose" could be co2.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
jfr1111
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 1,633
Liked 67 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YeastFarmerBeemer View Post
I don't think a wild yeast would make it smell really bad, slightly off at most. I am currently stepping up a wild yeast that I harvested from apples off our backyard tree and it smells like yeast (well actually it is starting to smell like yeasty cider since I used apple juice for the last 2 step ups).
Also the smell "burning your nose" could be co2.
You have all different kinds of wild yeasts. The ones found on fruit are usually pretty nice and clean from what I've read: someone here even cultivated the yeast from juniper berries.

It's the airborne, "living by the highway in a tiny appartment", kind of yeast that can mess a good brew. But that's just speculation since we don't even know if something other than yeast has been getting its funk on in OP's beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
Bensiff
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
, Washington, the state
Posts: 4,883
Liked 383 Times on 302 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
I took a sample out to give it a try but the smell is so strong I cannot bring myself to taste it. I would describe the smell as a plastic medicinal chemical smell....I can't really describe it exactly. It kind of burns your nose when you take a sniff. Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm smelling and the possible causes of it?

I don't think this is savable.
You are describing chlorophenols there if your description is correct. Did you sanitzie with bleach? If it is chlorophenols then it is not an infection and you cannot get rid of it by aging. However, give it time to be sure. The nose burning could be from getting a hit of CO2 like someone else suggested.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
RyanN
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
SW Michigan
Posts: 62

I do not sanitize with bleach and the water I use is filtered so there should not be any chlorine. I'll see how this looks in a week....maybe I'll taste it then?

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Butter-Smelling Starter? yournotpeter Fermentation & Yeast 5 09-12-2010 07:19 PM
Strange active fermentation XDeus Fermentation & Yeast 3 07-29-2010 04:39 AM
Really strange fermentation.... Bacchus Fermentation & Yeast 3 02-24-2010 07:18 AM
Sour Smelling Starter quizmastermikey Fermentation & Yeast 16 02-18-2010 01:59 AM
Bad smelling liquid yeast Droot Fermentation & Yeast 7 08-06-2009 09:10 PM


Forum Jump