Making a winter warmer ale...when do I toss in the spices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blairellis

Reaction score
At what point in the brewing process do I throw in the spices like Allspice, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ginger, etc?

All depends on your personal preference. I'm currently brewing a winter warmer and did the spices at flameout. Jamil's recipe for a winter warmer is at 1min.

I just brewed a pumpkin ale and put a spice tea into my primary after about a week. Didn't use any in the boil.

I just brewed a pumpkin ale and put a spice tea into my primary after about a week. Didn't use any in the boil.

I did the same (after 4 days) due to the recipe I was using. I cant say I'd do it again, even though the brew is fine and now bottled. I'd at least boil it for a few min

I have thrown them in with 10 minutes left in the boil for a few Holiday batches and all had a great spice profile. Just enough to taste, but not overwhelming.

I did the same (after 4 days) due to the recipe I was using. I cant say I'd do it again, even though the brew is fine and now bottled. I'd at least boil it for a few min

What didn't you like about it? I was basing my technique (but not the recipe itself) on Thunderstruck and it suggested using this method. I have yet to try mine, it needs about another week or two in the bottle. I boiled my water, added the spices and then let it simmer for about 10 min, then cooled and added.

What didn't you like about it? I was basing my technique (but not the recipe itself) on Thunderstruck and it suggested using this method. I have yet to try mine, it needs about another week or two in the bottle. I boiled my water, added the spices and then let it simmer for about 10 min, then cooled and added.

I like everything about the brew. I didn't like worrying for 3 weeks that it would be infected. I feel I got lucky, but I'd boil (at least quickly) the add-ins prior adding them to the fermentor again.

I like everything about the brew. I didn't like worrying for 3 weeks that it would be infected. I feel I got lucky, but I'd boil (at least quickly) the add-ins prior adding them to the fermentor again.

Oh ok. Yea I definitely sanitized my add-ins and it also helps the flavors and aromas bloom, hence "spice tea". Well if yours turned out well I have high hopes for mine.
:mug:

Thanks! Much appreciated. It's fermenting right now. I'll let you know how it turned out when I get it bottled in a month or so.

Back