To Thermowell or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlchemyBrewing

Reaction score
I just got two Thermometers (dial with 4" stem) and will probably go weldless to mount them into my Keggles (Mash and Sparge). The question I have is what are the pros and cons of adding a thermowell to them.

Thanks!

Good question. I can't really see an advantage to going with a thermowell unless the stems are made from some nasty material that you don't want in direct contact with your brew. This is obviously not the case, so keep it simple and use a compression fitting with o-rings in place of the metal ferrule...

At least that is what I would do if the stem is a standard size and you can find a compression fitting that it will work with.

I would use a thermowell if I was going to be putting a probe with wires in a vessel. I have a liquid tight thermocouple in my HLT, and it would be nice to be able to remove the probe without creating a drain hole. For a stainless steel dial thermometer, I don't see why you need one.

I guess I was only worrying about hitting the stem with the mash paddle. Any real fear of that?

Used to have a probe in my mash tun but have since removed it. I was getting sick and tired of banging it with the mash paddle. I find it much easier to just stick in my thermometer and take a reading.

Stir gently?
I use a plastic, slotted, pancake turner to do my initial dough-in; it's good a breaking up dough balls (mush 'em against the side) and won't damage the thermometer stem.

Back