Anyone know what this kind of glass is called? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone know what this kind of glass is called?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
jaba
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Michigan
Posts: 127
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



Besides goblet or chalice, is there a proper name for a glass like this? They're about 12oz. All I've been able to find is that most of them were made by the Federal Glass Company in the 70s. Libbey had a similar design in the 70s with square corners instead of round. I really like them as beer glasses, but I have only been able to find them randomly on ebay and at thrift stores.



A friend's meal from the other night too....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts


Goblet is probably the closest you'll get. It sort of resembles a schooner, but they are usually of larger capacity. They also typically have more of a flat foot and narrower stem, but I'm mostly guessing.

http://www.overstock.com/Wholesale/L...:referralID=NA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,070
Liked 267 Times on 228 Posts


this is what it is: http://www.replacements.com/webquote...gbase&4328144&
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
dave73ok
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dave73ok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Winona, Minnesota
Posts: 176
Liked 26 Times on 11 Posts


Damn, that pizza looks good!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
j1laskey
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Boston
Posts: 1,843
Liked 214 Times on 169 Posts


I could eat the sh*t out of that pizza

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Jawbox0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Debary, Florida
Posts: 464
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts


I *just* picked up one of these at a local thrift store. My favorite Beer glass so far. I actually had two of these in my hands, brought them up to the counter before I realized one of them was cracked.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
chemman14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,649
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbox0 View Post
I *just* picked up one of these at a local thrift store. My favorite Beer glass so far. I actually had two of these in my hands, brought them up to the counter before I realized one of them was cracked.
what is so great about them? they look really really easy to tip over

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
Jawbox0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Debary, Florida
Posts: 464
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
what is so great about them? they look really really easy to tip over
They are more stable than any stemware really because the center of gravity is lower while the base is still about the same size. I like the tulip-like shape on top which really opens up the aroma, and the way the thinner bottom part of the glass displays the beer.

Plus, for me the size is really perfect as I prefer a little smaller pour. Speaking of which, I get better pours into this glass than some of my other glassware though that's kind of beside the point.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
lowlife
 
lowlife's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Chicago
Posts: 654
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


wife brought home 6 of them in two different sizes from the thrift store. 15 cents a piece I believe. I like mine as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
jaba
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Michigan
Posts: 127
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbox0 View Post
They are more stable than any stemware really because the center of gravity is lower while the base is still about the same size. I like the tulip-like shape on top which really opens up the aroma, and the way the thinner bottom part of the glass displays the beer.

Plus, for me the size is really perfect as I prefer a little smaller pour. Speaking of which, I get better pours into this glass than some of my other glassware though that's kind of beside the point.
I agree completely. I also like the way the glass fits in my hand. Its easier to swirl beer around and warm it in your hand if it is too cold.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone know what this is called? (sorry no pic) BarleyAndApple Equipment/Sanitation 2 09-23-2009 10:11 AM
Keg Tap. What is this kind called? madewithchicken Equipment/Sanitation 4 12-19-2008 05:12 PM
What are these things called?...and where can I find some Dustin_J Equipment/Sanitation 5 10-14-2008 02:28 PM
why are they called corona mills? grrtt78 Equipment/Sanitation 12 04-26-2008 10:47 AM
What's that new Kettle Called? Sarts with a B... RLinNH Equipment/Sanitation 2 03-29-2008 01:16 AM


Forum Jump