Bottling with Brett B - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Bottling with Brett B

Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Jun 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

So I'm planning a psuedo-belgian pilsner style beer, almost saison like but not quite. I'm planning on using all pilsner malt and a whole bunch of brewer's gold hops. I want to get a little of brett character in there too. I was planning on adding some Brett B at bottling for some of the wet horse blanket flavor.

How much extra can I expect the brett to clean up the beer? I was planning on doing initial fermentation on the Wyeast French Saison 3711. And it attenuates really well (typically down to 1.011 on a low mash).

Would I need to add sugar at bottling with the brett? Or will the remaining sugars be enough? Or should I let the brett hang out for a bit before bottling and then prime as usual?
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
wonderbread23

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Brooklyn
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Let the brett do its job in the fermentor. Once its completely finished, bottle with fresh priming sugar (this can take awhile). Brett can be super-attenuative and may give you unpredictable carbonation results; its tough to estimate how low it will go, and you can easily end up with overcarbed beers.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Jun 2009
San Antonio, Texas

Awesome. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Jun 2009
San Antonio, Texas

If I use a super attenuative yeast for primary fermentation, how long can I expect the Brett to take to dry it out?

Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Ryan_PA

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Horsham, PA, Pennsylvania
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Well, I have made very dry beers in the past and pitched brett C at bottling to do exactly what you are looking for, horse blanket flavor. It is a very interesting progression. One beer was a Biere de Garde, that was amazingly clean and crisp at bottling and for a month or so after bottle conditioning. Somewhere around the 1-1.5 months mark, beers bottled with brett take on a more bretty flavor and my findings show it plateau's at around the 4-5 month mark. There is still some flavor development at that point and forward, but it is much slower. Just want to point out, when I bottle with Brett, I just pitch a fresh tube into the bottling bucket, no starter. For your recent question, if you dual pitched, sacch and brett together, at primary, it will still be a 3-4 month period for all the flavors to come out, based on what I have seen.