Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Transferring to secondary, but keeping yeast?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
phecke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transferring to secondary, but keeping yeast?

So I want to brew more often now that I have a keg set up and football tailgates are in full swing. The problem is that I only have one 6.5 gallon primary bucket, and my fermentation fridge only fits this bucket in it with little room for anything else. So, I need to make room in the fridge and bucket faster in order to brew more often. I've been leaving my beer in primary on the yeast for about 3 weeks and not even bothering with secondary and have had great results.

My question is this, to free up fridge and fermenter space, after a week to 10 days, could I swirl the bucket to resuspend the yeast (to preserve the sitting on yeast for 3 week method I've been using), transfer from the bucket into a 5 gallon carboy, and let it sit for another 2 weeks at room temperature (appx. 70-78)? I ferment at around 66-68 in my fermentation fridge, but I figure after 7-10 days I won't have much of an off flavor problem letting it sit in the 70's. I suppose I could just get more buckets and let those sit at room temp as well.

Any thoughts on this, or any suggestions as a better way to free up fridge and fermenter space, short of getting a larger fridge?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
iijakii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 325

I'd simply buy another bucket and pull it out from the fridge after a week or so. $20 is worth not siphoning all the time.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
bja
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phecke View Post
I suppose I could just get more buckets and let those sit at room temp as well.
You answered your own question.