Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Lagering, would this work?

Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
brehm21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lagering, would this work?

Okay, I'm reading about building a "cold box" or using a fridge/freezer for lagering, but I'm short on time and for the next month or so, really short on cash. Here's what I do have. One huge commercial grade stainless fridge in an unheated workshop, with a Johnson temp controller.
Problem: this time of year that building usually maintains a temp well below 40F where I want to lager my altbier for the next couple weeks.
Would it be possible to set a heating pad in the fridge (not under the carboy) and set the controller at 40 and lager away? It seems silly to use energy to heat something up only to cool it again, but that's the only immediate/cheap-short-term solution I've come up with.
Will this work? Anyone tried before?

Old 01-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a similar setup her in Calgary. I have a Ranco temp controller wired for heating my fridge in the winter (or for cooling in the summer). To prevent the fridge from freezing, I have an infrared heating bulb (bought at a pet store) inside that is controlled by the Ranco unit. Works perfectly, even when it is -20 outside.