Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The other hobby I do that people think is odd... straight razors

Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Pilgarlic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I use what my dad's generation called a "safety razor". You know, the one that uses the old, traditional double-edged razor blade. I pay next to nothing for blades and easily and safely shave my face daily and my head at least once a week. I'll never go back to paying Gilette or Schick or whomever the hideous prices they get for the environmentally unsound plastic cartridges they're peddling.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
I was hoping old age but that isn't helping, just a different color..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
All it does when you age is move to different places on your body and change color, heh.
Yeah, I found that gravity is moving my hair. Heck, I shouldn't have to shave any part of my head by the time I'm 100.

And as for changing color, I thought it was the lack of sun causing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgarlic View Post
I use what my dad's generation called a "safety razor". You know, the one that uses the old, traditional double-edged razor blade. I pay next to nothing for blades and easily and safely shave my face daily and my head at least once a week. I'll never go back to paying Gilette or Schick or whomever the hideous prices they get for the environmentally unsound plastic cartridges they're peddling.
Same here. I've been using safety razors for a few years. Love them! Feather blades are SHARP as medical scalpels.

Though, I've started growing a beard, so I only use them to clean up the neck and cheeks a little. I'm going to go in the opposite direction and grow a handlebar moustache.

I do use generic cartridges with a HeadBlade razor for shaving my head. My elbow rotates quite a bit, causing a lateral motion, which could lead to cuts.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Safety razors are another great alternative... as mentioned they are much, MUCH, cheaper than the current cartridge method. What surprised me the most was the difference between using the canned shaving cream and using soap and a brush. The canned stuff is terrible, I'll never go back.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Hey, good to see others are into shaving as well! I haven't gotten into straights yet, but I"ve been shaving with a DE, good badger hair brush and awesome soaps/creams for about 5 years now. As far as I'm concerned, its the only way to shave. Very relaxing, refreshing and zero irritation. Although I do sport a goatee now, I will never give up my DE!

I'm also a regular poster over at Badgerandblade.com with the same username. I've been a member since 2006, so I really don't chime in on the shaving discussion though...mainly the cooking and alcohol related sub forums.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #16
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

wow, another straight razor user. i got really into straight razors for a while, i think i have 5 or 6 of them, but i got lazy about keeping them stropped and now use a straight edge with a disposable blade (the cheap ones they sell at beauty shops). it actually works really well, but i look forward to having some time to re-hone my old ones. i have made a dozen or so shaving brushes, all with really nice badger hair blanks, gave most of them out to my groomsmen as appreciation gifts. i saw you mentioned a new brush potentially, if you're interested and want a custom one, let me know and we can work something out. i know there is a pretty big subculture for straight edges, but it's cool to see another interested person 'round here.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 10-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Like Ed, I am a member of B & B; however, I don't get over there very often at all. I use a safety razor as well and haven't had any trouble with razor burn or irritation with it... which was the reason I switched from a Mach 3. Also, I switched because it's so much cheaper to use DE blades.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love my Dovo. I rarely get any razor burn anymore, and if I do, I know it's time to hone a bit. I actually enjoy shaving now. It's a whole different experience, zen like as stated before. I start to relax the first draw across the leather.

I don't think I'll ever go back to canned cream and cartridges again.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
TxBrew
Dr. Mantis

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 892

I own a few, but I quit shaving some time ago, so I never learned how to use it.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I suppose I'm more of a user than a hobbiest when it comes to straights. Mine are functional with just the basics I need to shave and maintain my blades... unlike brewing, lol.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!