Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann false bottom question

Old 10-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Blichmann false bottom question

Who's got one? Mine is warped and doesn't lay flat on the bottom. This resulted than a less than stellar test session. The wort never really cleared like it should have. Also, the pin seems to be a bit to long, would it be ok to grind it down? If I did, that would put more weight on the edges and possibly make it lay/lie? flatter.

A disappointing first effort.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have one for my 15 gallon and it works perfect... I could see how the pin the in center being too long could throw it off like you are describing. Is the FB not laying flat because the pin is too long or because the FB is not flat?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
I have one for my 15 gallon and it works perfect... I could see how the pin the in center being too long could throw it off like you are describing. Is the FB not laying flat because the pin is too long or because the FB is not flat?
I think a little of both, it has a "give" to it, you can press on one side and the other side will pop up. I think if I grind the pin down it will force it to lay flay, I hope. Blichmanns customer service leaves a lot to be desired, so i'm hoping someone here has had a similar issue.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

No one else has a blichmann false bottom?

Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Wildwest, Mine is exactly like that!
Seems warped, and didn't think about the pin being to long, but did notice that it made a dent in the bottom of my kettle after the first time I used it.

I sent an email to Blichmann, but no response.
I called Brewmasters warehouse, and the guy there said he'd check into it and get back with me. No response yet.
He did give me some advise to use in the meantime.
I had a huge problem with SO much grain and particles getting by the FB during dough in, it took forever to vorlof to even somewhat clean wort.
He suggested that I dump all my grain into the dry MT. That way the grain would hold down the FB Then, pump strike water in from the bottom. By the time the water got to the top, all the grain was wet, and had the clearest wort ever as I recirqulated with my RIMS.

NOT an answer for a definate product flaw, but I do like the new technique I learned.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Wildwest, Mine is exactly like that!
Seems warped, and didn't think about the pin being to long, but did notice that it made a dent in the bottom of my kettle after the first time I used it.

I sent an email to Blichmann, but no response.
I called Brewmasters warehouse, and the guy there said he'd check into it and get back with me. No response yet.
He did give me some advise to use in the meantime.
I had a huge problem with SO much grain and particles getting by the FB during dough in, it took forever to vorlof to even somewhat clean wort.
He suggested that I dump all my grain into the dry MT. That way the grain would hold down the FB Then, pump strike water in from the bottom. By the time the water got to the top, all the grain was wet, and had the clearest wort ever as I recirqulated with my RIMS.

NOT an answer for a definate product flaw, but I do like the new technique I learned.
That sucks. Nothing like dropping $1200 on pots and having crap sent to you.
Would it kill them to drop the stupid thing in there an check it out? I don't like putting the grains in first for two reasons, 1- doughballs and 2- your strike water would need to be dead on, I prefer to pump in a few degrees higher just to warm everything up and nail my temps. Although, unless I become a metal shaper, I may have to try it.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I had NO problem with doughballs. Not at all like pouring water from the top.

The temps were somewhat close, and my RIMS caught up after a while. Once I dial in the new system, it'll get better.

The fact that I bought 3 expensive blinggy kettles over the last few months and didn't get a response does suck.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
The fact that I bought 3 expensive blinggy kettles over the last few months and didn't get a response does suck.
I emailed them also. I guess we'll see. I don't see how they wouldn't ship a new one out and have us send the warped ones back. Maybe they can fix them and re-sell them. It's not like you can tell it's ever been used.

Did you stir after all the strike water was in?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yes I stirred, but it didn't take much.
I was really impressed with the ease and results.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

I just heard back from Blichmann, he basically said to bend it back myself. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.