McEwans R.I.P. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > McEwans R.I.P.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado
Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yeast from a McEwan's scotch ale was used to create Duvel just after World War 1. . . . .
That's what it was, thanx, I wasn't thinking too clearly on Friday night after 60hr work weekAnd pool with the boysin the man cave

Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
remilard
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Kansas City
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts

Heineken bought McEwans brand in 2004 and closed the brewery. They were brewed at Caledonian.

A much smaller company recently bought the brand and discontinued the scotch. So Heineken is certainly not to blame for this beer being discontinued and this is a counterexample to the notion that only big companies do bad things.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Heineken bought McEwans brand in 2004 and closed the brewery. They were brewed at Caledonian.

A much smaller company recently bought the brand and discontinued the scotch. So Heineken is certainly not to blame for this beer being discontinued and this is a counterexample to the notion that only big companies do bad things.
I'd be interested to know the name of this smaller company, does this mean they brew the other mcewans, just not the scotch ale? Do they export?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #14
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Wow that looks good, what was your source for that recipe? It appears to be really close to me for a 5 gallon batch.

It is for a 5 gallon batch. Very tasty, indeed. I'll have to make it again, it has been quite some time since I made it last.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado

Just thought I'd update this, there is a glimmer of hope: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-15167251

Old 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado

IT'S BACK!!! Check you local stores, it's everywhere and every bit as good as before, although a tad more expensive, $8/4pack. Well worth it in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
ghpeel
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Gainesville, FL
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Indeed it is!!! Just spotted it a few weeks ago, and yes, it is still a great beer!! I am very happy!

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
bobmcstuff
Recipes 

Feb 2013
, UK
Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts

It's a shame McEwen's Export tastes like raw bumholes really.

Don't really see the Scotch Ale here, probably they make it mostly for export markets. Which is weird given the Export is so common up here in Scootyland, you'd have thought the name would mean it gets exported. Wikipedia claims it's an IPA but it tastes nothing like one. Other Scottish beers include Tennent's and Belhaven which are both pish as well, but don't tell any Scots I was ripping on Tennent's or they'll probably rip my entrails out.

I didn't realise it was brewed at Caledonian - Deuchars brew there now assuming it's the same place and their stuff is decent enough http://www.caledonianbeer.com/beers/#permanent

Apparently the bottled McEwen's stuff is now brewed down in Bedford in England, with only the draught being made in Scotland.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pea Green, Colorado

Interesting, thanx for posting. I was afraid a change in brewplace would change the flavour but it seems the same to me. Good to know the export isnt worth exporting, I've never seen it here.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
TobyG
Reverend of Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2010
Galvez, Louisiana
Liked 558 Times on 442 Posts

I have to say that although it still tastes good, I remember it being bigger.
In the cold room waiting their turn: Figure de Malchance (Bad Luck Charm - sticky black Imperial Stout)
Fermenting: Iron Brewer beer
Next brew day: NHC entries