Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Summer/Winter Solstice Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WYeast 2112/WLP810
Yeast Starter
2L Starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
4 IBU
Color
13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks @ 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
Tasting Notes
This is a fantasticly close clone to Anderson Valley Summer Solstice
ABV: 5.6%
Summer Solstice Recipe:

Assuming 75% efficiency:
9 lbs 2-row
13 oz Crystal 40*
11 oz Crystal 80*
0.5 oz Northern Brewer Hops @ 15 minutes
WYeast 2112 (Make a nice big starter 2L+)
0.25-0.75oz of Vanilla extract added at Bottling/Kegging. 0.25oz is a great start, add to taste.

Mash at 150* for 60 minutes, Boil for 60 minutes, add hops with 15 minutes left.
Chill your wort down under 70*, and pitch your starter.

Winter Solstice is the same receipe as Summer, but make the following changes:

13 lbs 2-row
1 lbs Crystal 40
14oz Crystal 80
1oz Northern Brewer at 15min
Mash at 152*, SG: 1.070, FG: 1.018

This beer turns out identical to Summer/Winter solstice. It's smooth, crisp, and has that lovely hint of vanilla. If you have the ability to lager, this beer would be even better if lagered for a month.

**This recipe has been slightly tweaked over the last year or so. Two differences are less vanilla now, and the use of Northern Brewer hops rather than Cascade.***

Ok, so I tasted ABVC Winter solstice for the first time this year. The batch my 6-pack came from was light on the vanilla, so I could taste the flavors better.

They definitely use Northern Brewer hops. It has the exact same flavor that Anchor Steam has, only without the bitterness. With that said, I like the beer better with cascade. The cascades seem to fall into the background better on this brew, and really showcase the malt and vanilla. Very subtle difference. I'll post some side-by-side pictures of the real one vs. My clone soon. They are nearly identical.

Cut back on the vanilla. I brewed this for the 4th time, and I think I've concluded 1oz to 1.5 is about right.

2oz gives it too harsh of a vanilla flavor

***Update***
Here's an updated photo from the 2011 ABVC Summer Solstice and my Summer Solstice clone. Oddly enough, mine is the clearer beer on the right.

DSC_3018.jpg

I kegged this 2 weeks ago and tried my first one last night. Are you sure you meant 1-1.5 oz and not tablespoons? I assumed you meant tablespoon and put that in but I think it is way over powering. I will probably try this again but cut it back to a small tablespoon. Hopefully the vanilla will die down after a month or more. Aside from that, it is pretty much spot on, thanks!

I've honestly ran into the same thing with my last batch. I'm starting to think not all brands of vanilla are consistent. I've found 0.5oz is about right, with 1oz being on the strong side. But this summer when i made a couple batches, I needed 1.5oz to get the right flavor. (FYI: 2TBSP ~ 1oz)

For people that keg, it's easy: Start with 0.5oz, and if you need more add it. For those that bottle is much trickier. I guess go by taste. I'm with you though 2morrow, it doesn't take much of the vanilla to be overpowering.

For anyone who might think of trying this, I used Simply Organic vanilla extract (Madagascar). Would not go over 1 tbsp with this brand. I agree that different brands have different potencies.

I love Winter Solstice :mug:
yours is about the only clone recipe i have found that looks decent. I will be brewing this next week and will post my results when all said and done!
Thanks you!

I love Winter Solstice :mug:
yours is about the only clone recipe i have found that looks decent. I will be brewing this next week and will post my results when all said and done!
Thanks you!

Please check the posts above for some updated info.

If you want a 100% exact clone, use Northern Brewer hops rather than cascade, although I happen to like cascade better in this beer. Add the hops anywhere from 10min to 0min depending on how long it takes you to chill your wort. If you can chill your wort in like 10min, add the hops at 10min left n the boil, if it takes you a little while to chill your wort, add the hops with 0min left. Anderson Valley steeps their hops in the whirlpool, so this part will vary for every brewer.

Oh, and start with 0.5oz vanilla, and add to taste. I'm finding different brands of extract have different strengths of flavor,and vanilla can overpower the beer in a hurry. Good luck!

I don't have the equipment to make this all-grain. Would anyone know how to convert it to an extract or partial mash? I love this beer and would really like to make a batch of my own. thanks

I don't have the equipment to make this all-grain. Would anyone know how to convert it to an extract or partial mash? I love this beer and would really like to make a batch of my own. thanks

Sure, super easy. Steep the crystal grains like you would any other extract recipe, then just replace the 2-row with 5.5lbs of light DME or 7lbs of light LME. That's it. Proceed from there as normal.

I just tried the summer solstice last night and Im so glad theres a decent recipe for it. My wife loved it. I could also see this bein a great one for non-beer fans since it tastes like a barely hopped cream soda. Thanks for the recipe!

would adding vanilla beans to the secondary impart the vanilla flavor rather than adding vanilla at bottling?

would adding vanilla beans to the secondary impart the vanilla flavor rather than adding vanilla at bottling?

I think that's actually the better way to go. People say to cut and scrap vanilla beans into a little vodka, let that hang out for a few days, then add to the secondary.

I've only used vanilla extract out of convenience, but I'd be interested to hear how it turns out with real vanilla beans.

Thanks to everyone sharing their ideas about the Solstice Clone. After speeding some time at my local brew supplier, he gave me the following partial mash version of a AVB Summer Solstice Clone I would like to share.

I am a new brewer so I am not 100% sure what grains add what kind of character. Any insight into this or links to good grain characteristics would be appreciated. So here it is:

AVB Summer Solstice Clone
Partial Mash

6lbs. Pale Malt Extract
2lbs. Maris Otter
1/4 lbs. Biscuit
1/2 lbs. Oats

Steep grains in grain bag for 45 min. @ 155 F.
Add extract and bring to rolling boil stirring continuous to avoid scorching

60 min. Add 1/2 oz. Perle
30 min. Add 1/2 oz. Perle
15 min. Add 1/2 oz. Cascade

Cool wort to 70 - 75 F.
Pitch 1 vial of White Labs California V Ale Yeast

6 days in primary
14 in secondary
14+ days to bottle carbonate.

I am brewing this today and will let e eryone know how it turns out.
Cheers.

So i tasted the 2011 Summer Solstice today. Completely different. No vanilla at all, and it tastes just like blueberry pancakes like their Boont Amber. Not sure why they went this direction with the beer. I also updated the picture at the top of the thread with my most recent clone.

Update on the summer solstice clone. The brewing was no problem except I pitched the yeast a bit early while the temp was around 85 degrees. It had a rapid fermenting start and went off like a hot tub time machine for a couple of days. It settled great and has been in the secondary for a week with two tablespoons of vanilla extract and a whole split vanilla bean. I sampled some of the "green beer" from the secondary last night and force carbonated it in a soda stream carbonator after chilling. It was really nice with a light golden color, sweet crisp forward notes and a velvety vanilla finish. It does not have the creaminess that the AVB original has but it also isn't finished yet. A bit stronger than I expected as two 12 oz. samples had me a bit too summery!

So i tasted the 2011 Summer Solstice today. Completely different. No vanilla at all, and it tastes just like blueberry pancakes like their Boont Amber. Not sure why they went this direction with the beer. I also updated the picture at the top of the thread with my most recent clone.

I just had the Summer Solstice, bought from Costco. I tasted the vanilla. Didn't get any blueberry pancake in it, I know the flavor you speak of from the Boont Amber.
I thought it was an excellent brew.
Thanks for the recipe. I'm looking forward to brewing this one.

Going to brew up a batch of this tonight.

I have a Ale that I'm bottling that used WLP001 California Ale Yeast. Gonna take a quart of the cake and see how it works out. It was an American Ale that I made so it should work out okay.

I will post back in 4-6 weeks with the results.

001 should actually work ok. Won't be exact, but it will be pretty close. Ferement it cold, like 60-62, and i'll bet it will be hard to tell the difference.

That's what I figured but it's still beer:) and all beer is good.

I will try to get it cold. I'm going to have trouble with that though. I live in Chicago and while I do have a basement it typically hangs in the low 70's.

Try putting the fermenter into a bucket of water. I put a Tshirt over the carboy so it soaks up the water and I fill the bucket to about the halfway mark on the fermenter.
The water in the bucket is typically lower than ambient air temp by 7-10 degrees.
No need to add any ice if the room is around 70 degrees.

Will do thanks for the advice Scottland and Oscbert. I've never had summer solstice before but is sounds soooo good. I bought a case of it last night but didn't get to try it. I have it cooling in the fridge for the brew session tonight.

I just made a partial mash version of this. I had several recipes and miscalucated my crystal malts.

Here is what I brewed.

7 lbs Light LME
1 lb 40L Crystal Malt
1 lb 80L Crystal Malt

Is there anything I can do to rectify the extra Crystal Malt? (i.e. can add more water to the fermenter - perhaps 5.5 gallons?)

That's only a few % too much crystal. Probably not a huge deal. Worst case, water it down with .25 gallon or so

i wonder if WLP029 would work for this recipe? the reason i ask is cause i got a lot of it in my yeast bank. and i would hate to go out and buy yeast if i can use what i got!!

I bet Kolsch yeast would be excellent for this recipe. Hopefully it will add some subtle fruity notes. Let us know the results if you try it.

Am going to make this for sure am going to wait till the weather gets a little cooler. i post my results as soon as i do it!!!!!

I just tried the Winter Solstice last night and thought it would be a nice seasonal beer to have around. My question is when the beer seemed to clearly be an ale why does the OP use a lager yeast? I'm happy to use it but my fermentation chamber (a.k.a guest room closet) stays at a steady 67F. Would this be too warm for the yeast? And if it isn't would it be warm to the point of imparting feelthy ester bubble gum banananasty to the beer?

Im almost positive it's brewed with California Lager yeast. It ferments well up to around 65. Is your wort temp 67 or your ambient temp? 67F is probably fine for wort temp, if that's your ambient temp, use something like California Ale yeast. It'll be close, but not dead on.

Just gonna chime in and say this recipe is a winner. Brewed the winter solstice back in mid October, and enjoying it now. I used S-05 and fermented in the low 60's, nice and clean with pronounced caramel notes. I used 0.75oz of pure vanilla extract at bottling.

Its very close to the real thing...certainly better than the kit offered by Austin Homebrew, which I tried last year and is not even in the ballpark.

Cheers!

Brewed this for swmbo who love summer solstice. Lasted for only 3 weeks because she loved it so much:rockin:, said it was better than summer solstice.
Used. .5 oz of Madagascar vanilla extract.

I'm going to attempt the partial mash recipe next Friday. I will let you know how this goes. The one corner of my basement is currently 61*.

That'll be the perfect temp. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. The only trick to this beer is to be very careful with the vanilla; it becomes overpowering in a heartbeat. ;)

I will probably soak two split vanilla beans in 4 oz of vodka. I had success with this method on the Southern Tier Pumpking clone.

I'm all set to brew an AG batch of this (winter solstice) and have a question. The recipe I have calls for two weeks primary @ 62 degrees and two weeks secondary no temp listed. My basement is not heated and stays @ 58-59 degrees. Would letting it ferment at that temp be an issue? I'm thinking it would be okay just might take a little longer but being a rookie thought it best to ask those with more experience :) Any advise/info would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Back