Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Culturing from dregs

Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Culturing from dregs

Not that I'm planning to do this anytime soon, but I'm interested in the process itself. The micro near where I live (Microbrasserie Charlevoix, their website is atrocious, don't bother searching for it) has a series of Belgian beers that are pretty damn tasty, especially the "Blanche", wich is probably a simple wit. They don't exactly brew to style, but you can taste the wheat and pils.

It's my gf favourite craft brew: slight clove, cinnamon and banana (no taste, only aroma), intense spice feeling and moderate malt. Altough I haven't been able to talk directly to the owner, the small amount of research I have done (ie. sampling) shows that they use the same yeast for all their Belgian style beers and altough it might not be exclusive, I cannot find a direct match.

So I tought about buying 3 500ml bottles of the 5% ABV "Blanche" and cultivating the dregs from them. I really don't know what will come out of this, but it'll be a fun experiment ! Can I just sanitize the lip with a flame, pitch the sediment from the three bottles into a masson jar with 150ml of 1.030 wort, wait until fermentation finishes and then step up to a liter of wort, or do I need to carefully step up ? Do I need to keep everything in the fridge ? Getting fresh bottles is probably crucial, but I live 2 minutes way from 6 places that sell the beer, so it won't be a problem.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Step up gradually, and make the wort something like a 1.020-1.025 to start off with, you want to nurse those stressed yeast back to health.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If they're bottle conditioned, then you can make a starter from the yeast in the bottles.
However, often commercial beer is bottle conditioned using a different yeast than that used for fermentation. If this is the case, you may not get the results you are hoping for.
You could make the initial starter with 100 - 150 ml of wort, and the yeast from just one bottle, and then step it up to 1 liter without any problem. That's what I used to do. See http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast...-and-practices for some great information on starters.

-a.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I don't know if they bottle condition with the same yeast strain. Worth a try though.