Random Fermentation in secondary ? Video - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Random Fermentation in secondary ? Video

Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Wingfan13

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Austin, TX, Texas
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So I woke up this morning and went to check on my baby (Two Hearted Ale Clone) and saw this. I dry hopped and this beer has been in the secondary for 7 days now. The hops all floated to the surface and there is some bubbling going on.

Is this fermentation ? Any idea what is going on ? The beer doesn't seem to be clearing and there is air lock bubbling. I broke my hydrometer so no gravity readings were taken. I moved to secondary after 10 days and no air lock activity. I know air lock activity is not a good measure of activity but it is all I had.

Thanks for the help !

Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Valcarde
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Ontario

Just leave it be.
Get yourself a hydrometer. Give it a week or two, and take a sample. Three days later, take another sample.

If FG hasn't changed, it's ready. But nothing wrong with leaving it even longer to let the yeast clean up a bit more.
Carboy 3: Choco-Caramel Amber Ale

Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Bentpirate

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Lancaster, Pa
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It looks like off-gassing. Hydrometer would be great, however since you already racked to secondary - 7 days is about as long as you want, time to get it moving off the hops. Off gassing could because of simple air temp change and the CO2 is being released. I would not consider these bubbles fermentation. When I dry hopped the other week, I saw the same and proceeded as my plan. All is well.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Wingfan13

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Austin, TX, Texas
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentpirate View Post
It looks like off-gassing. Hydrometer would be great, however since you already racked to secondary - 7 days is about as long as you want, time to get it moving off the hops. Off gassing could because of simple air temp change and the CO2 is being released. I would not consider these bubbles fermentation. When I dry hopped the other week, I saw the same and proceeded as my plan. All is well.
So you are thinking I should bottle now ?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Bentpirate

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Lancaster, Pa
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would. I did infact just the other night..... Too much times on hops will cause 'grassy' and nasty flavors