Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Texas State Fair - fried beer, etc. - a first-hand report

Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Texas State Fair - fried beer, etc. - a first-hand report

Went to the fair today - great fun! The only downers were the raised prices on almost everything - parking now $15, beer 9 coupons ($4.50) most places, and the biggest disappointment was the fried beer. What a rip-off! $5 for 5 little ravioli things with just a little squirt of beer in them (well, they said it was beer, but I couldn't taste anything that reminded me of beer). Basically tasted just like salty undercooked dough with Cheese-Whiz on top. You can safely pass this one by.

On the up side, the auto show was huge, the Marine Corps band was great, as always - I especially like the flag lowering ceremony at 5:00 PM (don't stand too close to the cannon - that thing is LOUD), the IMAX show on prehistoric sea monsters, while not the best one I've seen was still pretty cool, and the Killdares Celtic Rock band gave a great performance as they do every year. The butter sculpture was amazing, but I've seen better ones in the past. Corny dogs for lunch and German food for dinner at the Hans Mueller tent while we watched the end of day parade. The closing fireworks show was about the same as the last few years, IMO not as good as they used to do, but still worth watching. Pretty much avoided the midway and the animal shows this year (been there, done that). One tip - the beer inside the Food Building is the cheapest - unfortunately only BMC and Shiner Bock on tap, but a cup of Shiner is "only" 7 coupons ($3.50) vs typically 9 coupons outside.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1246 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

Haven't been to a fair in 20 years, sounds like fun!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3452 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 2238

That sounds like a blast!

And I really have no interest in deep fried beer. (Maybe a tiny bit of curiosity...)

Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Thanks for posting, and taking a bullet for us with the deep fried beer. Sounds like much ado about nothing.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1786 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 1088

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thats too bad I was looking forward to trying the fried beer but with a bad review and a $5 price I can't bring myself to do it now.
How were the crowds? I am debating on if I should take a day off work when my wife, who works for a school, gets the day off to go (and free tickets) or if I should just wait for a Saturday or Sunday (still with free tickets).

Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
TxBrew
Dr. Mantis

Recipes 

Liked 2001 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 892

I thought the deep fried beer would be bad, I saw the making of it and what he called "trade secrets" came across as "Gross stuff I can't tell you about.".

Thanks for letting us know!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
How were the crowds? I am debating on if I should take a day off work when my wife, who works for a school, gets the day off to go (and free tickets) or if I should just wait for a Saturday or Sunday (still with free tickets).

Crowds weren't bad at all, but that's why my friends and I always go on a weekday (that plus the fact that Thursday is Senior Citizens day so everyone over 60 gets in free). I haven't been on a weekend in many years so I don't know how bad the crowds are - I'd stay away this weekend, though - Texas/OU football game, so it's bound to be crowded.