Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Volume vs OG

Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
DuffmanSaysOhYeah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Volume vs OG

Hello all I just brewed my second batch today (BB American Pale Ale) and I noticed something and I was wondering whether it was something I am doing, maybe you can help. On both batched when I took the initial OG reading in the primary bucket (before the yeast was added, and ~70 degrees) I reach my desired OG range (specified by the kit) before I am near five gallons. My first batch wasnt so bad I got the correct OG around 4 1/2 gallons. However, this batch I got to the desired OG at only just above 4 gallons.

now, I know I'd rather have the correct OG than the correct volume; but I am sure almost a gallon (thats like 2342349234 beers). like i said i was careful with my temperature (both of the wort and the air), and as far as I could tell the brewing went smooth (again, a BB kit).

Any ideas/suggestions/'don't worry about it's'?? Like I said I'd rather less of a stronger beer then more weak ones. Just curious. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 357 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm assuming its an extract kit. Sounds like the kit isn't giving you enough extract to hit 5 gallons. Also check to make sure you hydrometer is reading accurately.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
mrames
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you added top-off water to the wort, you MAY be measuring more water than wort. You need to mix the wort and top-off water really, really well before measuring. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that if your kit was all extract, you probably hit the OG.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

How are you measuring your volume? If you are using the lines on a Pale Ale bucket or similar have you checked it for accuracy? They are notoriously inaccurate.

You have to mix VERY thoroughly to get an accurate measurement.

Good Luck.

Ed

Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
DuffmanSaysOhYeah
Recipes 

hey guys and thanks for the ideas. i am/and will continue to be very cognizant of the different temperatures/viscosity influences when i am pitching my brew (i was one of those nerdy science majors so fluid dynamics is finally paying off!). i am basically measuring my volume by the amount of bottles i pour (i buy 5 one gallon DI water jugs at the market the day when i brew). just curious and wondering if i was over looking something. ill keep you informed if they mystery continues and i will take your advice.