A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer - Page 67 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #661
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 9,143
Liked 1452 Times on 1106 Posts


I don't process mash water separately from sparge water - there is often no need to do this especially when you have effectively removed most of the alkalinity (by dilution with RO). So just draw the entire volume of water needed for both mash and sparge, add 1 tsp CaCl peer 5 gallons and proceed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #662
zodiak3000
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 587
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I don't process mash water separately from sparge water - there is often no need to do this especially when you have effectively removed most of the alkalinity (by dilution with RO). So just draw the entire volume of water needed for both mash and sparge, add 1 tsp CaCl peer 5 gallons and proceed.
ok, just to clarify is it 1 tsp for the finished product of 5 gallon batch or 1 tsp per 5 gallons of water? for a 5 gallon batch i usually start with around 9 gallons of water, which would equal almost 2 tsp if this is the case. im assuming what your saying is i can just add 1 tsp to the HLT no matter how much water for a 5 gallon batch, correct?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #663
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 9,143
Liked 1452 Times on 1106 Posts


No, it's 1 tsp for each 5 gallons of water treated. But bear in mind that it is a starting point guideline: not a hard and fast rule. If you want to use half a tsp or a tsp and a half per 5 gallons that's OK as long as you experiment with other values in subsequent brews to find the level that does the best for you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #664
zodiak3000
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 587
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
No, it's 1 tsp for each 5 gallons of water treated. But bear in mind that it is a starting point guideline: not a hard and fast rule. If you want to use half a tsp or a tsp and a half per 5 gallons that's OK as long as you experiment with other values in subsequent brews to find the level that does the best for you.
cool thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #665
zodiak3000
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 587
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


brewing tomorrow and just want to clarify my measurements of calcium chloride based off the primer. 1 tsp per 5 gallons of water. 5 grams in each tsp = 1 gram per gallon of water. i will be using roughly 9 gallons of water, so 9 grams needed? i will be using 100% RO water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #666
TobyG
Reverend of Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TobyG's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Galvez, Louisiana
Posts: 2,322
Liked 559 Times on 443 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000 View Post
brewing tomorrow and just want to clarify my measurements of calcium chloride based off the primer. 1 tsp per 5 gallons of water. 5 grams in each tsp = 1 gram per gallon of water. i will be using roughly 9 gallons of water, so 9 grams needed? i will be using 100% RO water.
It's more like 3.4 grams per level teaspoon (for CaCl) according to Palmer.
__________________
Toby
Brasserie L'Etrange (my brewhouse build) My Untappd Profile
On Tap: Nothing WTF
In the cold room waiting their turn: Figure de Malchance (Bad Luck Charm - sticky black Imperial Stout)
Fermenting: Iron Brewer beer
Next brew day: NHC entries

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #667
jmf143
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Wixom, Michigan
Posts: 609
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
It's more like 3.4 grams per level teaspoon (for CaCl) according to Palmer.
The exact amount does not matter. As AJ says, its not a hard and fast rule anyhow. The brewer would be advised to use a consistent unit of measure in his brewery (whether its grams, teaspoons, ounces, etc.) and make note of the changes made in the amount of salts used to satisfy his taste.
__________________
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #668
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 9,143
Liked 1452 Times on 1106 Posts


I'd much prefer that people work with weight but not every brewer owns a scale though he should an inexpensive student triple beam balances are still available though electronic scales are also now available at reasonable price. I've noticed that lots of brewers like to shoot and so a reloading scale, if you have one and can convert grains to grams is a possibility.

The weight per tsp is a pretty rough measurement and depends on the form (powder or prill) and, if powder, how 'fluffy'. 5 grams/tsp is fairly close for the prill form.

TobyG Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #669
TobyG
Reverend of Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TobyG's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Galvez, Louisiana
Posts: 2,322
Liked 559 Times on 443 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
The exact amount does not matter. As AJ says, its not a hard and fast rule anyhow. The brewer would be advised to use a consistent unit of measure in his brewery (whether its grams, teaspoons, ounces, etc.) and make note of the changes made in the amount of salts used to satisfy his taste.
I agree it doesn't matter to an extent. Was just trying to help since my own measurements are fairly consistent with Palmer's table, so I tend to measure by weight and typically treat 15 gallons of water with 10g CaCl. It just conjured an image of a friend inadvertently overdoing the epsom and having an overly salty batch.
__________________
Toby
Brasserie L'Etrange (my brewhouse build) My Untappd Profile
On Tap: Nothing WTF
In the cold room waiting their turn: Figure de Malchance (Bad Luck Charm - sticky black Imperial Stout)
Fermenting: Iron Brewer beer
Next brew day: NHC entries

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #670
jmf143
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Wixom, Michigan
Posts: 609
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts


I'll amplify my answer and state that I prefer grams as that is also used in the 3 popular water chemistry models. Electronic digital scales are cheap and accurate enough for my brewery. You can check your scale by measuring the weight of a nickel coin - they are 5 grams.
__________________
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Water Chemistry Gremlyn Brew Science 23 12-22-2012 02:22 PM
Question on Water Chemistry meschaefer Brew Science 7 11-02-2010 09:39 PM
Help: Water Chemistry - ppm vs mg/L carp Brew Science 2 10-10-2009 06:54 PM
water chemistry - adjust top-up water? JLem Brew Science 12 09-23-2009 12:11 AM
Water chemistry noob Yooper Brew Science 48 09-03-2009 07:21 PM


Forum Jump