A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer - Page 58 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #571
NanoMan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


And I came away with a new look at the problem- Gracie!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #572
NanoMan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Update: Having now used the EZCalc for about 15 batches I think I will begin to acidify all water to pH 5. This should allow me to hit optimum mash pH without excessive salt manipulation given my soft water. I'll post data as I get it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #573
BigRedDog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 27
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Yooper

Just want to say thanks for the simple instructions. I've been trying to isolate cause of off flavor in my beers. So I went simple, used your instructions using distilled water and with Bier Munchers Centennial blonde recipe. The off flavor is gone. So now wondering why... Maybe water company started using chloramine?? Next step is same recipe with tap and Camden tabs. Again, thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #574
jmf143
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Wixom, Michigan
Posts: 609
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedDog View Post
Yooper

Just want to say thanks for the simple instructions. I've been trying to isolate cause of off flavor in my beers. So I went simple, used your instructions using distilled water and with Bier Munchers Centennial blonde recipe. The off flavor is gone. So now wondering why... Maybe water company started using chloramine?? Next step is same recipe with tap and Camden tabs. Again, thanks!
Have you considered the amount of bicarbonate you have in your (tap) sparge water and its affect on sparge pH? You might have been extracting tannins before you switched to using distilled water for sparging.
__________________
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #575
BigRedDog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 27
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143

Have you considered the amount of bicarbonate you have in your (tap) sparge water and its affect on sparge pH? You might have been extracting tannins before you switched to using distilled water for sparging.
Thanks for the suggestion. PH is on my list of troubleshooting the issue. Strange thing is my PH when measured at Mash is low. Also the beers with off flavor have had no head. I'm measuring with ph papers and realize its less than perfect. The above two items leads me to believe bicarbonate is very low. The water company tells me the water source is river fed, so ion concentration are highly prone to changes in rain. I've spoken with local brewery (hofbrau haus) and they tell me tap from river is great left untreated (I.e. no ro or filters).

One step at a time. Btw, is there a ph meter you recommend??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #576
Hermit
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,281
Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedDog View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. PH is on my list of troubleshooting the issue. Strange thing is my PH when measured at Mash is low. Also the beers with off flavor have had no head. I'm measuring with ph papers and realize its less than perfect. The above two items leads me to believe bicarbonate is very low. The water company tells me the water source is river fed, so ion concentration are highly prone to changes in rain. I've spoken with local brewery (hofbrau haus) and they tell me tap from river is great left untreated (I.e. no ro or filters).

One step at a time. Btw, is there a ph meter you recommend??
Did they indicate if they do regular testing and did they share any actual current numbers?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #577
BigRedDog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 27
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit
Did they indicate if they do regular testing and did they share any actual current numbers?
Its been 6 months since I spoke with the water co. Specific to PH impact, he gave me ion ranges and said summer drought toward high end, plenty of rain toward low end. Alkalinity range was 26-73 ppm, calcium 23-66 ppm, mg 1-18 ppm. He did not offer specific current readings. I use lactic acid or thinner mash to deal with mash mod (ph papers read low ph so no lactic used). I have not been treating sparge to adjust ph. I do not typically check ph of wort so cannot offer ph there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #578
NanoMan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


And after ALL of this, my pH meter stopped working this morning. Son of a ........

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #579
mirogster
Recipes 
 
May 2011
New York, New York
Posts: 125
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoMan View Post
And after ALL of this, my pH meter stopped working this morning. Son of a ........
Time for hitting China via ebay ;P

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #580
NanoMan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 103
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Well, it turns out there is an advance calibration procedure and I was able to reset it to the factory defaults. Working fine again and its gettting A LOT of use!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Water Chemistry Gremlyn Brew Science 23 12-22-2012 02:22 PM
Question on Water Chemistry meschaefer Brew Science 7 11-02-2010 09:39 PM
Help: Water Chemistry - ppm vs mg/L carp Brew Science 2 10-10-2009 06:54 PM
water chemistry - adjust top-up water? JLem Brew Science 12 09-23-2009 12:11 AM
Water chemistry noob Yooper Brew Science 48 09-03-2009 07:21 PM


Forum Jump