Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping Right into the Primary

Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
nickrjsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping Right into the Primary

Hi,

I'm just doing a two week primary ferment then a week to condition in a pressure barrel.

The primary has been fermenting for 5/6 days now and has stopped bubbling.

Should I open the top and dry hop for the last 8 days before racking off into my pressure barrel? Or would it be best to dry hop directly into the pressure barrel?

Thanks

Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take a gravity reading. I usually dry hop in the primary when fermentation is about 90% complete. Anything before that will most likely get shrubbed out by the fermentation.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

No no no no. My first dry-hop, recently, I added it after day 5 thinking fermentation was almost complete based on airlock activity slowing down, but it kept going another week and a half. I lost alot of aroma and ended up with some grassiness. Work backwards.... if you are set on your 'bottling' day then work backwards from that day, 3 to 5 days.

Even at 90% fermentation on your hydrometer, that last 10% could take longer than you think it should.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
iijakii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 274

I recently made an IPA. Had it in primary for 3 weeks, added hops to primary and let it dryhop for a week. The aroma was fantastic, but be warned:
Avoiding trub AND hop debri with an autosiphon? Jesus can't even do that. Definitely use a bag or teaball.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just my personal experience, but I've made the exact IPA recipe back-to-back. On the first attempt, I dry-hopped in the primary after 3 weeks (fermentation had been complete for at least a week and a half). The second time, I racked to a secondary after 3 weeks in the primary and dry-hopped there. Both times, I dry-hopped for 10 days using the same amount and type of hops (from a bulk buy, so same AAUs as well). The aroma wasn't even close - the secondary-dry-hopped version was much more fragrant.

I don't want to start a "whether to secondary" debate - this is just my own anecdotal results. I will admit I've seen an article discussing how yeast can attach/bind to the hop oils thus diminishing their fragrance, but of course can't find it now.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
kwantam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've dry-hopped in primary in the past with excellent results. If you cold crash before bottling it's not hard to avoid most of the hop sludge, but I'd go with a strainer bag anyway just to be safe.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm thinking of trying the same thing. I'm doing a double brew day this weekend, and will be brewing an Oatmeal Stout and a Rye IPA, both partial mash. I will be dry hopping the Rye IPA with 2oz of Amarillo, and will put them in a mesh bag to avoid hop particles in the final beer.

I only have two fermenters, so I won't be racking either to secondary. I'm going to let both of them sit in primary for at least 3 weeks to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves.

My question, will I lose aroma by dry hopping in the primary, even after waiting a little while after primary fermentation has finished?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
My question, will I lose aroma by dry hopping in the primary, even after waiting a little while after primary fermentation has finished?
Again, just my personal experience, but I think you lose some aroma if the yeast are still in suspension. If you're using a highly-flocculant strain, you may have better results than if using a less-flocculant stain. If you could cold-crash the primary before dry hopping, I would expect better (i.e. more aromatic) results.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophazard View Post
Again, just my personal experience, but I think you lose some aroma if the yeast are still in suspension. If you're using a highly-flocculant strain, you may have better results than if using a less-flocculant stain. If you could cold-crash the primary before dry hopping, I would expect better (i.e. more aromatic) results.
I will be using Safale US-05 as my yeast, but don't have equipment to cold crash it (i.e. apartment with a fridge that won't fit my carboy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

S-05 is pretty flocculant. I was using the equivalent of S-04 in the comparison I mentioned above. Only way to tell is to dry-hop once in the primary and make it again using a secondary (or second primary) for dry-hopping. I believe I kept all other aspects constant (grain bill, hops, fermentation time/temp) so the only thing I can peg the difference on is the presence of yeast in suspension.