Measure of a man vs. Starbucks. - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Measure of a man vs. Starbucks.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #21
madbaldman
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Central Florida
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Or roast your own beans and brew your own at home. I get most of my coffee intake from my own home roasted beans.
If I have to stop at a Starbucks then its a Quadshot on Ice in the Large cup with extra ice. If they made the espresso correctly then it shouldn't be too bitter but it probably will be.
That's what I do. Bought one of those little roasters from williams brewing - money well spent. Green coffee is about half the price of roasted so the machine will pay for itself after 5-6 lb of coffee. It's kind of interesting to vary the darkness of the roast and see how it affects flavor. I initially roasted very dark because I like bold coffee. Turns out I was cooking off a lot of flavor, not intensifying it. When I backed off on the roast, the flavors really came alive.

I may hit a Starbucks when I'm on the road and want a decent cup of coffee (Bold) but I really don't like those coffee-candy desert drinks.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #22
tallybrewer
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you insist on continuing to go to Starbucks for this coffee drink, I have to ask; don't they recognize you & remember your regular order? If so, just tell them you have a new manly nickname for your drink; call it the "The Rock" or something.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #23
knotquiteawake

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Dallas TX
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
That's what I do. Bought one of those little roasters from williams brewing - money well spent. Green coffee is about half the price of roasted so the machine will pay for itself after 5-6 lb of coffee. It's kind of interesting to vary the darkness of the roast and see how it affects flavor. I initially roasted very dark because I like bold coffee. Turns out I was cooking off a lot of flavor, not intensifying it. When I backed off on the roast, the flavors really came alive.

I may hit a Starbucks when I'm on the road and want a decent cup of coffee (Bold) but I really don't like those coffee-candy desert drinks.
My first roaster was a $7 Poppery Popcorn popper, then that died, then I bought a $18 Target Brand Popper that isn't quite ideal but works, and I've also got a small $5 thrift store popper as a backup as well. If anyone wants to start roasting its really just as easy as buying some green beans, and going to a thrift store for a popper.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #24
JohnnyO

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Dunkin' Donuts, FTW. Great coffee, no attitude.
Easy big fella. It's decent run of the mill coffee. But it is lacking a lot of flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
Wondering if I'm the only person in this country who has never even stepped foot into a Starbucks ?
Yes. Congratulations. You are a better man for it.

I used to be a Starbucks junkie in the late 90s before there were three on every corner. For the past ten years or so, we have been brewing our own at home and have never looked back. We go to a local roaster, Willoughby's and have been using the same type of beans for about five years, and they have been reliable in flavor.

I'll occasionally go to Starbucks if we're out and I want some coffee, but I stick with either a hot or iced coffee or go with a Red Eye (coffee with a shot of espresso (or is it two - one of them is a red eye, the other is a black eye)).

Old 09-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 156 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post
You know, they're owned by Starbucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle's_Best_Coffee

They just took over for the Burger King's Coffee in NJ.
Don't really care who owns them, they call it a large and I'm good with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
Last time I went to I ordered a large 3 times while the counter girl tried to correct me...Venti my aaaassss !
Pat
They try that with me, too. The conversation usually goes something like this:

I'd like a large (insert coffee of choice here)
Don't you mean a Venti?
Venti? Is that a large?
Yes.
Then I'd like a large.

I usually get a dirty look, but they get me my damn coffee.

And no tip.

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #26
neuron555
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Delmar NY
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If they want to call the large Venti (20 in Italian), why don't they be consistent and call the others by the size? Morons.

Neuron Nanobrewery

Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #27
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 9076 Times on 7225 Posts

I take pride in the that I've never been in a Starbucks nor comsumed any of their over priced stuff...

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2577 Times on 1429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
"I would like a medium coffee."
"One Grande coffee"
"No, no, I would like a medium"
"But....."
They usually give up and I smile.
Here's a little cartoon that runs along those lines (sorta):
Regards, GF.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
Large, hot, strong and black. That's all.

Bull
... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Methinks the Op protests too much. Anyone who feels their masculinity is threatened by ordering a "Venti" coffee, I mean, I'm just playing armchair psychologist but methinks you've got some insecurities to work out.

With that said, **** Starbucks. The only time I've ever bought coffee at SBUX is on the Thruway when it's literally the only choice at some rest stops. The pretentiousness annoys me, but it doesn't make me feel less of a man.

EDIT: Wait, you're ordering a "Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip"? Maybe you really ARE a little fem bitch at heart.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #30
kornbread
Recipes 

May 2008
Mayodan, NC
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I like my coffee like I like my women: Hot, Black, and just enough sweet to take the bitter edge off.

But... come to think of it... with a little whipped cream and a caramel drizzle doesn't sound all that bad either.