Measure of a man vs. Starbucks. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Measure of a man vs. Starbucks.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2436 Times on 1347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
I like to think of myself as, the kind of guy you think about when you watch the outdoor channel. You know the type...The blue collar guy. The one other men, who wear suits to work snicker at. Forcing me to return the favor by making fun of their "pink" power ties while rolling up my sleeves.

Having said that, I am having a hard time with this right now. I feel that Starbucks is taking some of my manhood away evertime I go to the counter and say, "Venti, Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip." AHHHHAAHHH, I hate it!

I stare at the floor as if I am a criminal trying to avoid being identified while committing a crime.

I swear that Starbucks is the DEVIL!

Wait....You going to Starbucks?

I'll come with ya, I need to pick me up a Venti Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip.....Damn-it! I fell victim again, Son-of-bitch.
Coffee wisdom from Dr. Dennis Leary:

Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
mr_goodwrench

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Auburn, GA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I make it simple: Venti Bold. 'Room for cream?' Not necessary.

I used to bristle against the Venti and order a Large, but in the past couple of years I have given in. I do have the embarrassment of having to order SWMBO's Grande non-fat peppermint mocha, no whip, but it is always accompanied by Venti Bold.

Now, I normally brew my own at home, but there are times when I have run out or we are out and about that I do need to stop into Starbucks. For me, they get just plain coffee right, most other places I find to be either too weak or on the hot plate too long, or just don't have the right taste.

And Revvy: I do miss Timmy-Ho's since moving down here, if only for the cinnamon rolls!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Watertown, CT
Liked 3748 Times on 3582 Posts

Dunkin' Donuts, FTW. Great coffee, no attitude.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts

Make coffee at home, or at least start drinking cappachino or lattes. Order the ice cream sunday from a custard stand.

OT: I do not like Starbucks. Aside from the mochafrapalotacrappe, I am on the burned side of the argument. There espresso tastes like burned underwear dipped in rancid acid.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
lehr

Recipes 

Dec 2008
flushing michigan
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Make coffee at home, or at least start drinking cappachino or lattes. Order the ice cream sunday from a custard stand.

OT: I do not like Starbucks. Aside from the mochafrapalotacrappe, I am on the burned side of the argument. There espresso tastes like burned underwear dipped in rancid acid.
Ok let me be the first to ask..What did you use for a reference on the espresso ?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Richardson, TX
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts

Wondering if I'm the only person in this country who has never even stepped foot into a Starbucks ?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
knotquiteawake

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Dallas TX
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Or roast your own beans and brew your own at home. I get most of my coffee intake from my own home roasted beans.
If I have to stop at a Starbucks then its a Quadshot on Ice in the Large cup with extra ice. If they made the espresso correctly then it shouldn't be too bitter but it probably will be.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

Man up and drink your coffee black! Or find a local coffee shop. Their coffee is probably better anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
Ok let me be the first to ask..What did you use for a reference on the espresso ?
This is the first time you have ever heard this? In the coffee world, Starbucks is referred to as "Charbucks". As in they char the hell out of their beans, especially the espresso roasts. Their espresso is indeed quite awful. My comparison is all of the other espresso I've had at various local and chain coffee houses that didn't taste like crap.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts

For those interested, this is a great thread we had going a while ago about espresso...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/espr...lovers-150077/

As Ed mentioned, espresso should taste nothing like the crap Starbucks serves you in a crappy paper cup like you are some junky who just needs a fix...

Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Dunkin' Donuts, FTW. Great coffee, no attitude.
and no english!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong