Brother Jed: "Beer Lovers" Going to Hell - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Brother Jed: "Beer Lovers" Going to Hell

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Man, I didn't realize brother Jed was still around. I used to see him 15 years ago. He'd stop by the campus every year to preach his unique message. I never was quite sure how to take Brother Jed. It often seemed he was purposefully presenting an extreme message so that people would react against him. It was always interesting to see Christians in the crowd speaking out against what he was pushing. It seemed to please him to no end to see the crowd siding with that other individual and, in the end, meeting him halfway. He had a very odd approach!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

Imperial Helles Bock for all of us!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
He goes by "Brother Jed" and he takes his Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God routine all over the place.
Oh my god he's still around???? He came to my college in Detroit 27 years ago. I ended up in a round about way, becoming student senate president because I stood up to him.

Jesus, he doesn't look a day older than when he came to our school. And is probably wearing the same vest.

I bet he sold his soul to the devil to not age or something.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Looks like Stephen Cobert's dad.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

That is one LONG cross!! I'm sensing some crucifix envy issues there.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Did he also make a big deal out of the fact the "The doobie brothers weren't really brothers and 'doobie' is slang for marjuana?" That is the one statement of his that has stuck with me for over a quarter of a century.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Did he also make a big deal out of the fact the "The doobie brothers weren't really brothers and 'doobie' is slang for marjuana?" That is the one statement of his that has stuck with me for over a quarter of a century.
And people say that education is behind in America.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
509inc
Recipes 

Jan 2010
OKC
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts

When are the religious people going to stop persecuting everyone not like them?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I remember from him. I thought his presentation was hillarious. He'd make a statement like, "When I was in college I was in this fraternity and in that fraternity there was FORNICATION," and he'd have this smile on his face, almost like he was going to start laughing, like he knew that he was laying it on pretty thick. Look at this, here I am starting to get a little nostalgic for ol' Brother Jed!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509inc View Post
When are the religious people going to stop persecuting everyone not like them?

My guess is "never".