Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fooling Around With Cider

Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
HerotBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fooling Around With Cider

So maybe I've been bitten by the brewing bug, but I thought I'd take a stab at an "ancient" cider. Basically I had a gallon of cider lying around the kitchen, and since it will be a few weeks til I have the funds to start another beer brew, and my primary is only 2 days in to fermentation of beer, I wanted to try something.

I know this may fail miserably, but I'm willing to give it a try and if it stinks then I'm out a 4 dollar gallon of cider.

Using Fleishman's Dry Bread Yeast (not quickrise).
2/3 gallon cider.
Brown Sugar

Happily when I ordered my brewing kit, they sent me a 1 gal glass carboy stopper in place of one of my better bottle stoppers. Popped that baby on top of the cider jug with an airlock. We'll see what happens.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did you check for preservatives? If it says Potassium Sorbate or Potassium Benzoate on the ingredients than the cider will not be impressed by your feable attemts to ferment it. If not, you should be fine.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah. It does have Potassium Sorbate, which one of the threads suggested can be overcome. Like I said, I don't have much to lose by trying it. If that doesn't work there is a cider mill nearby that I'm going to call and get some unpasteurized, unpreserved cider and repeat the process, using bread yeast again (and probably freezing some more to use when I get some cider yeast).

Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can overcome potassium sorbate, but not by just pouring yeast into the cider. You have to get a bunch of yeast going separately (like in a batch of sugar water), then add that yeast to the sorbated cider. Sorbate will prevent the yeast from reproducing, so it will take forever to ferment. If you make a big batch of yeast before adding that to the cider, it will ferment out.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Bubbles541
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hopefully your yeast will kick the potassium sorbate's bum, because the batch I just bottled(yesterday) is that exact recipe. Same yeast, brown sugar, and cider. Mine didn't have preservatives in it thankfully but I wish you the best of luck. I let mine go dry, and it has a very nice aroma to it, I bottled some still and dry, and some with some AJ concentrate to back sweeten and prime. Overall it is simple, cheap, and delicious.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I started a tablespoon of the yeast in water in 1.5 cups of warm water and a half cup dissolved brown sugar.

Had a Krausen going all day today on the top of it.

If it stalls I'm going to make another starter, let it propagate longer, then repitch.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just checked on my "Ancient" Cider and I'm getting bubbles though the airlock. Guess the second yeast starter I made isn't necessary.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Update, if anyone cares. Pitched the second yeast starter just for the hell of it yesterday. Airlock still bubbling.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It sounds like you might have the beginnings of a good apple jack this winter. Get some oak cubes and a mason jar, and find a good place to hide it from yourself until next winter.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You really think it will need to age a year?