Lagering Pros vs Cons??? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lagering Pros vs Cons???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
akthor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Litchfield and Brownton, MN
Posts: 1,752
Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts



I kinda get what lagering is, seems it takes a lot more equipment and time. Is it worth it? A lager is like Budweiser or Heineken right? Well I prefer the darker beers more anyways so should I just stick to Ales, Porters and Stouts?
__________________
LAKE MARION SOCIAL CLUB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
borden
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Posts: 317
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Pros of lagering:
- You can make lager.

Cons of lagering:
- You're not making ale.

Seriously though, the fundamental difference as I understand it is the temperature at which you are fermenting (and conditioning). In practical terms, yes, Heineken/Corona/Bud, etc. are lagers, while Guinness/Newcastle/Sierra Nevada are ales. There are a trillion subcategories and styles, but that's the bones of it.

Me? I'm an ale man. And not just because I can't ferment my beer at anything but ambient.

EDIT: Just noticed you're fermenting an Oktoberfest. Are you not lagering that?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


Different breed of yeast, that tends to produce a cleaner beer than an ale yeast. I do occasional lagers in the winter and one of my favorites is Schwartzbier.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
akthor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Litchfield and Brownton, MN
Posts: 1,752
Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts


I guess it's an Octoberfest Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Pros of lagering:
- You can make lager.

Cons of lagering:
- You're not making ale.

Seriously though, the fundamental difference as I understand it is the temperature at which you are fermenting (and conditioning). In practical terms, yes, Heineken/Corona/Bud, etc. are lagers, while Guinness/Newcastle/Sierra Nevada are ales. There are a trillion subcategories and styles, but that's the bones of it.

Me? I'm an ale man. And not just because I can't ferment my beer at anything but ambient.

EDIT: Just noticed you're fermenting an Oktoberfest. Are you not lagering that?
__________________
LAKE MARION SOCIAL CLUB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,585
Liked 191 Times on 160 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
A lager is like Budweiser or Heineken right?
No, you have the implied syllogism backwards. Yes, Budweiser and Heineken are lagers but not all lagers are Budweiser and Heineken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
I kinda get what lagering is, seems it takes a lot more equipment and time. Is it worth it?
That depends if you like lagers, at least certain ones, well enough to make them yourself. I love good pilsners, Festbiers, Dunkels, bocks and other great lager styles so for me the answer is a resounding yes. If you don't care about lager styles then no, it isn't worth it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
jason.mundy
BIAB Purist
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Ellettsville, IN
Posts: 317
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts


I wouldn't lager if it weren't for the German beers. Oktoberfest, Munich Dunkel, Bock, Doppel Bock. All are fantastic beers.
__________________
Jason

AHA - How to Brew in a Bag (BIAB): https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...w-in-a-Bag.pdf
My BIAB Kettle - Bayou Classic 1140, Fermenter - SS Brewtech Brewbucket
Beersmith Podcast - Brew in a Bag (BIAB) Down Under – BeerSmith Podcast 10
Basic Brewing Podcast - BIAB, Proper Terminology
Basic Brewing Podcast - How to BIAB
Online BIAB Calculator - http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 50,598
Liked 3390 Times on 3245 Posts


Agreed, please do not dismiss lagers as American Light Lagers. That is one small style that happens to be a lager.
__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
borden
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Posts: 317
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
I guess it's an Octoberfest Ale
Sounds good to me. Prost!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
akthor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Litchfield and Brownton, MN
Posts: 1,752
Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts


I am not a fan of Hieneken or Becks either does this mean I wouldn't like the Lagers you listed? Don't get me wrong I drink it if it's free but I don't buy it. Hence I wouldn't make a lager if they are similiar to Heineken or becks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.mundy View Post
I wouldn't lager if it weren't for the German beers. Oktoberfest, Munich Dunkel, Bock, Doppel Bock. All are fantastic beers.
__________________
LAKE MARION SOCIAL CLUB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
I am not a fan of Hieneken or Becks either does this mean I wouldn't like the Lagers you listed? Don't get me wrong I drink it if it's free but I don't buy it. Hence I wouldn't make a lager if they are similiar to Heineken or becks.
Lagers are WAY more diverse than those beers on your "will not drink" list. THere is just as much diversity in lagers as there is in ales. Hoppy, malty, bitter, light-colored, dark, etc...they're all there. They all tend to be "cleaner" in ester profile (so not much in terms of fruity apple/pear flavors like a lot of English ales). As a general rule, since most lagers are of German origin, they use German hops.

Here's the BJCP style guide - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php - categories 1-5 are lagers, and 6 and 7 are "lager-like". Take a look and you'll notice that lagers are more than Heineken and Becks and Budweiser.
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

Reason: removed incorrect info about hefeweizens being lagers

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelatin as fining vs. irish moss. Pros/cons? nigel31 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 08-11-2014 05:51 PM
Green Bottles. Pros and cons Fuzzywumpers Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 24 05-02-2010 12:03 PM
Pros and Cons Bottling vs Kegging... pcolson Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 43 01-06-2010 10:32 PM
Pros/Cons of a full boil? jelsas Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 02-05-2007 06:27 AM
Secondary Fermention - Pros and Cons? disdaint Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 01-20-2007 12:15 PM


Forum Jump