Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fall Flavors?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
Never use clove. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
+1 on never using cloves.... vey overpowering IMHO

Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #22
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Constant Comment tea.

For a gallon of cider approx ... Two bags in 3/4 cup of boiling water. Turn off heat & cover pot. Pull out teabags after 5 minutes. Let cool. Add cooled tea to cider, to taste. Note that this will darken the cider a bit.

You can also add uncooked teabags to the secondary. Depending on taste, 4 or 5 teabags directly per gallon. Keep in the cider for two or three weeks.
Soak the teabags in a just enough solution of metabisulfite to saturate them first for 15 min before adding to the secondary.

You may need to modify and add more or less depending on your result and tastes.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #23
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Constant Comment... Isn't that orange flavor? I wouldn't put orange with apples, that's too wierd.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #24
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I was thinking abbot this the other day and think a pine or spruce would be good for a fall flavor..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 09-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #25
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
Constant Comment... Isn't that orange flavor? I wouldn't put orange with apples, that's too wierd.
Yup, orange and other spices.

Actually it works really well.

Besides the orange and spice and the general tea flavor, using tea adds a bit more tannin too.

Sometimes traditional German "Heisse Ebbelwei" (hot apple wine) and "Gluhwein" also uses orange rind. (tho gluhwein is more commonly red wine).

Absolutely awesome served hot in cold weather around the holidays.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1008 Posts
Likes Given: 4269

Caraway seed. I use it in graff a LOT. It's not as strong as anise, but it does add just a hint of anise-like (closest descriptor) flavour that blends with the apple wonderfully. I've used it in primary & secondary, sometimes both and even put a few into the bottles. IMHO, caraway seed & apple go together like bread & butter.

Molasses is another flavour that I consider a "fall flavour," so is maple. Adding a bit of fresh or candied ginger could be interesting. Lemon and/or orange zest (and often juice too) are almost always added to Swedish Glogg spices; and I've always thought raisins & dates were "fall" flavours. Anise might work, if you like it, a lot don't.

That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm going to go with, ginger, nutmeg, alspice, clove (just one clove maybe 2, no worries clove haters), I'll investigate this caraway seed thing, and get a bit of molassas flavor from the dark brown sugar I'm going to use.

You said you do a lot of graff? That's where you add DME to the brew right? Do you think this could benifit from some? If so what kind?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
Kashue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just did a batch with vanilla and extra brown sugar and it was delish. Kind of like a drinkable pie.

RE: cloves: you could try flavoring with oil of clove or some other clove extract at bottling time. Being as oil of clove is potent enough to act as a topical analgesic and you only use 3 drops of it to vaporize-scent an entire room, I would use it sparingly indeed. DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS. Here is a form where some nice hippies are discussing how to cook candy with it: http://herbs.maxforum.org/2010/09/06...ith-clove-oil/

Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1008 Posts
Likes Given: 4269

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazedowl View Post
I'm going to go with, ginger, nutmeg, alspice, clove (just one clove maybe 2, no worries clove haters), I'll investigate this caraway seed thing, and get a bit of molassas flavor from the dark brown sugar I'm going to use.

You said you do a lot of graff? That's where you add DME to the brew right? Do you think this could benifit from some? If so what kind?
Here's Brandon O's basic graff recipe:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graf...-cider-117117/

I've been experimenting with it for a while now. I've used pale, amber & dark LME, 2 row, 6 row, honey malt, crystal 60, crystal 80 & crystal 120, Munich, caramunich, brown malt, biscuit, victory, acidulated malt, flaked barley, flaked oats, raisins, caraway seed, lemon zest, molasses, etc...
Not all in the same batch of course.

I like to increase the malt profile & ABV by increasing the LME/DME/Grains, I also like to add frozen apple juice concentrate (FAJC) to increase the apple flavour, acid content & ABV. Obviously some batches were better than others, but in all honesty, I've NEVER had a batch of graff that wasn't absolutely delicious.

Now as to your spices, use whole, cracked or sliced spices & put them in a hop sack. You can weigh it down with a couple of sanitized marbles if you want. Using powdered spices usually ends up making a big mess & oftentimes will ruin a batch over time. Short of filtration, you cannot remove those powdered spices, so the continue to add more & more flavour over time, until there is no more flavour left. By that time, the flavour profile is too strong. With the hop sack method, you can remove those spices when the flavour profile is just right.

Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Two thoughts on spices:

1. Heehee... hop sack.

2. Ground spices will usually become either dissolved or trapped in the yeast cake, so you wont have visible particles to deal with. They tend to dominate the flavor at a young age, but after 8-10 months they begin to balance out. I like to brew in the late fall with fresh cider from my local orchards and store it until the next September when the weather starts to cool.