Apfelwein Bottle Carbing - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfelwein Bottle Carbing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
The_Kelly
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 20


So i asked this on the EdWorts Applewein post but I assume the 551 pages of posts in the thread made my question ridiculous.

So, I am on my 4th week of fermenting the Apfelwein. I am going to carb in the the bottle. Will there be any yeast in suspension in order for this to carb up properly??

Thanks in Advance!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #2

Yes. You won't have a problem.
__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
madbaldman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Central Florida
Posts: 272
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. I bottled some cider that was sitting for 3 months in the fermenter and was very clear. Two weeks in the bottle and still no carb. Odd, never had this problem before. I'm using 6 liter tap-a-draft bottles with telflon tape on the threads, metal caps, and double checked tightness. I guess I'll go back in, reprime, add a bit more yeast, and watch them closely. Not sure what went wrong.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,733
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. I bottled some cider that was sitting for 3 months in the fermenter and was very clear. Two weeks in the bottle and still no carb. Odd, never had this problem before. I'm using 6 liter tap-a-draft bottles with telflon tape on the threads, metal caps, and double checked tightness. I guess I'll go back in, reprime, add a bit more yeast, and watch them closely. Not sure what went wrong.
Probably nothing wrong at all- two weeks is a bit too short of a time to expect carbonation. Usually you can expect it to be carbed up in 3-4 weeks if kept at 70 degrees or higher.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Blacksburg/Herndon, VA
Posts: 2,156
Liked 37 Times on 37 Posts


Hmm I had apfelwein sitting in a carboy for 3 months, I bottled it half carbed half uncarbed. I used 2 oz priming sugar for 24 bottles of apfelwein and they are really undercarbed after another 4 weeks at 70 degrees.
__________________
If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
schadelh
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Corvallis, OR
Posts: 43

My last batch of apfelwein sat in primary for about 10 weeks (until clear). I sucked up a tiny bit of yeast off the bottom (just a bump with the siphon) when i was racking, and added the priming sugar (i think 3/4 cup for 5 gal). It took a long time to carb up (a lot longer than beer), probably 6 or 7 weeks (maybe longer, I ignored the hell out of it after it was still flat on week 3) until it was fully carbed.

just be patient, and dont drink it all too soon, it starts to taste really good about 3 or 4 months in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
madbaldman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Central Florida
Posts: 272
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
Probably nothing wrong at all- two weeks is a bit too short of a time to expect carbonation. Usually you can expect it to be carbed up in 3-4 weeks if kept at 70 degrees or higher.
These bottles are showing zero signs of carbonation. Usually they firm up in a week - these you can poke a dent in them like they day they were bottled. I'd think I'd forgotten the priming sugar but I distinctly remember adding it. Very odd.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
krisagon
 
krisagon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Philly
Posts: 135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
These bottles are showing zero signs of carbonation. Usually they firm up in a week - these you can poke a dent in them like they day they were bottled. I'd think I'd forgotten the priming sugar but I distinctly remember adding it. Very odd.

Wait, you're using 6 liter bottles? I've read that the bigger bottles can take longer to carb up than the little 12 oz ones.

My vote is just be patient.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
The_Kelly
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 20

Can I just say Yooper... That your "Enough Football" is darn right blasphemus... just saying

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
madbaldman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Central Florida
Posts: 272
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by krisagon View Post
Wait, you're using 6 liter bottles? I've read that the bigger bottles can take longer to carb up than the little 12 oz ones.

My vote is just be patient.
No, there's definitely something wrong. I've done many batches in these same bottles and they carb up like beer - very firm in a week and fully carbed in 2-3 weeks. One thing I did do different with this batch was not using a bottling bucket. I primed the bottles and filled two bottles; the rest went directly into containers for back sweetened still cider. I think what might have happened was this: when I used a bottling bucket and prime the entire batch, I got a little yeast in the bucket when I tilt the fermenter to get the last of the cider. What went into my bottles was the first siphoning of the undisturbed fermenter and didn't get enough yeast to prime. That's all I can think of at least.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I back sweeten Apfelwein in the keg after carbing it? Halldawg Cider Forum 9 10-16-2009 01:59 PM
Bottle carbing ? chromedome Cider Forum 6 09-09-2009 12:11 AM
bottle carbing question stoney66 Cider Forum 3 11-21-2008 03:53 PM
Bottle Carbing Question Capt. Kaos Cider Forum 7 10-26-2008 04:31 AM
Apfelwein sweetening/carbing question.. Pyro Cider Forum 4 03-22-2008 02:05 PM


Forum Jump