Rye of the Storm Smoked RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Denny\'s Favorite 50
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks @ 63°F
Tasting Notes
This has been described as \"camping in a pint\" a fall favorite around here.
Rye of the Storm Smoked RyePA

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.75
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.08
Anticipated SRM: 7.2
Anticipated IBU: 56.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grains:

10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) 2
2.00 lbs. Rye Malt
1.00 lbs. Home-Smoked 2-row
0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L
0.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt

Hops:

1.00 oz. Magnum Whole 14.00%aa @ FWH
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 6.85%aa @ 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 6.85%aa @ 5 min.

Yeast:
Wyeast 1450
Denny's Favorite 50

Mash Schedule:

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 13.75
Water Qts: 18.29 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.57 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp: 154°F. Time: 60 min
Mash-out Rest Temp: 212°F. Time: 10 min
Sparge Temp: 170°F. Time: 10 min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.67 - Dough-In Infusion Only

I smoked a few lbs of 2-row by soaking the grains in distilled water for 20 min, then spreading over a stainless screen placed in the smoker, thickness was about .25 to .5 inch layer, the grain was smoked at 225°F. for 2 hours using white oak and just a touch of mesquite added in the last 15 minutes. the flavor is quite unique and is the big contributor to the "camping in a pint" comments.

My efficency has been in the mid 80's lately and the last batch came in at 1.072 and finished at the usual 1.016 netting 7.42%ABV

Overall opinion of this one is that the rye comes through nicely up front adding to a beautiful mouthfeel, the smoke flavor and aroma almost dominate the beer yet nice hoppy bitterness is noted, the FWH smoothes the bitterness into the flavor additions quite well.

This beer has taken 1st place in the monthly homebrew club meeting tastings on 2 seperate occasions, and is one of my most requested beers from friends.

Ever since having New Glarus' Smoked Rye I've been looking for a recipe I can brew.... This, sir, appears to be it. Thank you much!

I've been toying with a very similar recipe, im looking to make it for a local homebrew competition coming up in October. It was a secret ingredient competition where they released the ingredient last month, 2lbs of CherryWood Smoked Rye.

I may just use a modified version o your recipe, I need to figure out how to balance the rye and the smoke.

Im totally jacking this recipe from you my friend! I have tried this 1st hand and it is spectacular!! I will be using your home smoked method as well. I will bring some over when it is ready..Cheers!:mug:

Im totally jacking this recipe from you my friend! I have tried this 1st hand and it is spectacular!! I will be using your home smoked method as well. I will bring some over when it is ready..Cheers!:mug:

Always happy to accept gifts of beer! if you have questions, feel free to ask away!

Brewing this up today, only change I made was adjusting for my AA% hops and I didn't have Magnum so I went with Northern Brewer for the same total IBU.

-Steve

As long as the IBU is adjusted you shouldn't have an issue.

I have used Northern in a couple beers with good results, I hope you enjoy this beer as much as I do!

OG of 1.071, I also subbed in S-05 for the yeast as I didn't get to the supply store in time for anything else and had that on hand. Looking forward to tasting it! :mug:

-Steve

Wow smoking your own malts that's a good idea!

Thank you! I find it makes the beer quite unique compaired to other beers made with commercialy smoked malt, I can set the smoke profile to suit my mood at the time... fruit wood, mesquite, hickory, beech, oak, maple...

Just brewed this today, smoked with black oak chips, and mesquite for the last 15 of two hours with about two pounds of grain. Got a 1.066 spot on, increased the cascade by .50 oz overall. Using WLP001 because its what I got... tastes great outta the kettle... Will let you know how it comes out...

Does the smoke flavor fade with age and if so how quickly? I just might have to try this one.

I haven't been able to keep this around long enough to have much smoke flavor fade. It will mellow out over time but personally I think it does so rather slowly.

I think the smoke profile is great as it is so I get to drinking it rather than ageing it for a long time.

Ok, thanks. One final question... At what point are the smoked grains crushed, after you take them out of the smoker?

kevjt said:
Ok, thanks. One final question... At what point are the smoked grains crushed, after you take them out of the smoker?

I pull the grain out of the smoker and bag it. I have milled it the next day, I have milled it several months later with no notable difference in the flavor or aroma.

I crushed then smoked, then mashed straight outta the smoker... was a tad damp when mashed... but all turned out well so far.

Just racked to a secondary and already at 1.006... 1 week and fermentation is practically done.. that's what washed WLP 001 gets you! Tasting great and smells great... like smoked ham maybe...

Back