Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Blueberry Summer Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #41
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,546
Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Default


I am glad I'm not the only one who enjoys this one! Too often a fruit beer is over the top fruity, when I was working this recipe up I wanted a beer that tasted like beer and not a wine cooler
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing
azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
coonz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Owosso
Posts: 38
Default


So I am about to start this brew and was wondering what I should do for blueberries. I want a good flavor of blueberry and a blueish color. I leaning towards fresh/frozen blueberries, if anyone can help me out and give any suggestions thanks.
coonz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #43
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: memphis
Posts: 482
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGsPorter
Alright, that's how it's going to happen then. Did it turn the beer blue at all?
5 pounds of puréed blueberries turned it beautiful purple with a light pink head
motleybrews is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #44
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: memphis
Posts: 482
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by coonz
So I am about to start this brew and was wondering what I should do for blueberries. I want a good flavor of blueberry and a blueish color. I leaning towards fresh/frozen blueberries, if anyone can help me out and give any suggestions thanks.
Fresh. Puréed. Pasteurized.
motleybrews is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
DrBrewDC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hesperia
Posts: 254
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Back to the topic of photos.....

Does anyone have a pic to share??
DrBrewDC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #46
coonz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Owosso
Posts: 38
Default


Brewed mine up on Monday brew day turned into 6 hours of fun. Messed up on the OG reading, but looking forward to adding blueberries.

Does anyone have their fermentation schedule? Not sure if I should do 1-2 weeks in primary and how long on fruit in secondary?

Thanks
coonz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #47
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,546
Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by coonz View Post
Brewed mine up on Monday brew day turned into 6 hours of fun. Messed up on the OG reading, but looking forward to adding blueberries.

Does anyone have their fermentation schedule? Not sure if I should do 1-2 weeks in primary and how long on fruit in secondary?

Thanks
I ferment for 2 to 3 weeks in recent batches, rack onto the berries and let that go for another week before transferring to a keg and carbing for 3 weeks to a month to let it carb up.

You could go longer on the fruit for more berry flavor, I prefer the blueberries to be a background player in this beer.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing
azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 560
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Anyone try oregon blueberry puree for this? I was listening to the Jamil show and he was raving about how the puree aids in geting consistent results. I was thinking 3 lb or puree in secondary? Thanks!
FlyDoctor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #49
archer75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gresham
Posts: 134
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
Anyone try oregon blueberry puree for this? I was listening to the Jamil show and he was raving about how the puree aids in geting consistent results. I was thinking 3 lb or puree in secondary? Thanks!
Yes. It's what Mcmanamins uses in their ruby. I have made both a ruby clone and a blueberry ale with it. In both cases I added to the primary and racked on top.
In the ruby it worked great, perfect clone recipe and the raspberries really shine through.
In the blueberry I can't taste any blueberry at all. I could when I first kegged it but not anymore.
archer75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #50
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 560
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Yes. It's what Mcmanamins uses in their ruby. I have made both a ruby clone and a blueberry ale with it. In both cases I added to the primary and racked on top.
In the ruby it worked great, perfect clone recipe and the raspberries really shine through.
In the blueberry I can't taste any blueberry at all. I could when I first kegged it but not anymore.
Do you mean you added it to the secondary or did you really add it to the primary? My understanding would be that adding it to the primary will drive of a lot of the aroma due to CO2 escaping, whereas adding in secondary preserves this.

Thanks for your help.
FlyDoctor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extract - Blueberry Wheat Ale (blue Wench) boydak Fruit Beer 26 01-22-2014 03:44 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS