British Strong Ale 11-11-11 Gun Stock Ale (Old Ale) *Official Recipe* - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > British Strong Ale 11-11-11 Gun Stock Ale (Old Ale) *Official Recipe*
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #21
jmo88
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Seattle
Posts: 1,372
Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisufnoC View Post
Hey guys, is this brew too advanced for a new AG brewer? I like the idea of participating, but I dont want to get in over my head.
Even better. Just think, a year from now you can swap the beer with other brewers with different levels of experience and see how it compared. I'd like to get as many people involved as possible, hence the signature.


__________________
(~):} Just a little Furthur (~):}

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
NoisufnoC
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 315
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
Even better. Just think, a year from now you can swap the beer with other brewers with different levels of experience and see how it compared. I'd like to get as many people involved as possible, hence the signature.
Very cool. I'm always up for a challenge.

Do you guys mind giving me a hand finding spots to buy the ingredients? Up until now I'm really only used to buying prepackaged kits.


__________________
Make Wort Not War.
My Blog || Fermentation Chamber Build
NoisufnoC is ConfusioN spelled backwords...now you know!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #23
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,895
Liked 128 Times on 105 Posts


Here I put the recipe up in Brew Masters Warehouse. Since they have both the yeast and all the grain. You can throw it up in the original post if you'd like for easy linking for someone buying the recipe.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/ee2df8e3/
__________________
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
NoisufnoC
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 315
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Here I put the recipe up in Brew Masters Warehouse. Since they have both the yeast and all the grain. You can throw it up in the original post if you'd like for easy linking for someone buying the recipe.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/ee2df8e3/
so that would get me the grain and the yeast, all i need to do is source the oak chips and the hops, right?

edit: i see the hops on the order, so its just oak chips i need.
__________________
Make Wort Not War.
My Blog || Fermentation Chamber Build
NoisufnoC is ConfusioN spelled backwords...now you know!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #25
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,895
Liked 128 Times on 105 Posts


That'll get you the grain, yeast, and hops. You just need to get the treacle since BMW doesn't have it on the site.
__________________
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #26
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,478
Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisufnoC View Post
so that would get me the grain and the yeast, all i need to do is source the oak chips and the hops, right?

edit: i see the hops on the order, so its just oak chips i need.
I'd recommend oak cubes over oak chips. They are thicker and provide a more "barrel-aged" flavor since the chips are thin and almost all surface area.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,895
Liked 128 Times on 105 Posts


You can probably get all the grains needed along with the oak at Austin Homebrew. I ordered oak a while ago from morebeer.com and got cubes from Stavin. They're $10 for 8oz but I remember a coupon I used to make them cheaper.
__________________
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #28
NoisufnoC
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 315
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


very cool, thanks for all the info guys.

does this beer need a starter with an OG so high?
__________________
Make Wort Not War.
My Blog || Fermentation Chamber Build
NoisufnoC is ConfusioN spelled backwords...now you know!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
Gremlyn
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,344
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts


Might finally have the equipment to do this one! I think I'll see what it's like with my pre-oaked bourbon instead of straight oak cubes
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #30
NoisufnoC
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 315
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
You can probably get all the grains needed along with the oak at Austin Homebrew. I ordered oak a while ago from morebeer.com and got cubes from Stavin. They're $10 for 8oz but I remember a coupon I used to make them cheaper.
I'm pricing it out at Austin Homebrew, but I can't find the Amber Malt on their site.


__________________
Make Wort Not War.
My Blog || Fermentation Chamber Build
NoisufnoC is ConfusioN spelled backwords...now you know!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denny's Rye IPA official recipe esclavosoy General Beer Discussion 1 11-16-2014 12:02 PM
Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe flyangler18 Recipes/Ingredients 202 04-02-2013 03:28 PM
(HELP! need recipe) Chicken stock orange juice shrimp recipe cheezydemon3 Cooking & Pairing 24 03-06-2013 11:50 PM
First official recipe: Dunkelweizen NFARSACE Extract Brewing 3 08-15-2012 02:42 PM
Official Recipe: Alpha God (Triple IPA) mhenry41h Recipes/Ingredients 15 12-25-2011 08:08 PM


Forum Jump